CommonDialog

VK

rf said:
I tried. I really did. I spent a whole five minutes trying to figure out
what you are talking about.

I failed.

Attempt #4 :)

1. There is a family of GUI-based OS called "Microsoft Windows".

2. The following members of this family are currently in a more-or-less
significant use :
Windows 98
Windows NT
Windows 2000
Windows ME
Windows XP

3. Each and every of these members able to display FileOpen and
FileSaveAs dialogs. These dialogs are rather different from one member
to another but they are always presented. (Quick proof: on any Windows
choose Start > Run > Browse...)

4. There is a browser called "Microsoft Internet Explorer".

5. Starting from the version 5 at least it allows you to access system
resources using new ActiveXObject(...) call.
NB: Naturally it involves security considerations, but I'm talking
about technical issues now.

6. It would be nice to use ActiveXObject to call say native FileOpen
dialog and to get the user input into your JavaScript program.

7. On Windows XP you can do it by using the OCX control mentioned in
the OP's post.

8. Unfortunately this OCX control is presented only on particular
installations of Windows XP (with Visual Studio) or this OCX control
has to be destributed on each machine of question wich is not always an
option - and plus you have to pay to Microsoft for that.

9. The paragraph 2. of this text lists all Windows family members I'd
like to support - meaning I'd like to display system FileOpen dialog
w/o additional software installation on each involved machine, using
only ActiveXObject(SomeThing) and SomeThing.somePropertyOrMethod.

10. I came to the (possibly wrong) conclusion that paragraph 9. is not
doable for the set of OS listed in the paragraph 2.
- unless some semi-hacking methods implemented like calling Microsoft
Office application dialogs.

rf

VK said:
Attempt #4 :)

OK. I will try again.
1. There is a family of GUI-based OS called "Microsoft Windows".
Yes.

2. The following members of this family are currently in a more-or-less
significant use :
Windows 98
Windows NT
Windows 2000
Windows ME
Windows XP

Yep. You listed them in the wrong order though.

95, 98 and ME are the same thing, just different releases.

NT, 2000, XP are also the same thing, just different releases. They are,
however, an entirely different operating system than the other 9x
"versions".
3. Each and every of these members able to display FileOpen and
FileSaveAs dialogs. These dialogs are rather different from one member
to another but they are always presented. (Quick proof: on any Windows
choose Start > Run > Browse...)
Yes.

4. There is a browser called "Microsoft Internet Explorer".

No argument here, except that IE is so badly designed that some question
that it is in fact an *internet* browser at all.
5. Starting from the version 5 at least it allows you to access system
resources using new ActiveXObject(...) call.
NB: Naturally it involves security considerations, but I'm talking
about technical issues now.

Won't research this. I'll take your word on it.
6. It would be nice to use ActiveXObject to call say native FileOpen
dialog and to get the user input into your JavaScript program.

Yes. It would be nice. A securty breach could be envisaged as well.
7. On Windows XP you can do it by using the OCX control mentioned in
the OP's post.

What does the particular version of windows have to do with this? As
mentioned before XP is one of the NT versions. "NT" started out as version
3.0 and went quickly IIRC to 3.5 . Then came "NT", version 4.0. There was
IIRC a 4.1 which was 4.0 with a 98ish style skin instead of the 95is skin
of 4.0. Then there was NT release 5, commonly known as 2000. Then there was
NT release 5.1, commonly known as XP.

Fire up your XP windows explorer and drop down help>about. It will tell you
that you are running 5.1.
8. Unfortunately this OCX control is presented only on particular
installations of Windows XP>(with Visual Studio) or this OCX control
has to be destributed on each machine of question wich is not always an
option - and plus you have to pay to Microsoft for that.

Rubbish. Go over to http://microsoft.com and search for "comdlg32.ocx".
The second hit tells you how you can set up a download, for *free*.
9. The paragraph 2. of this text

What paragraph 2 of what text?
lists all Windows family members I'd
like to support - meaning I'd like to display system FileOpen dialog
w/o additional software installation on each involved machine, using
only ActiveXObject(SomeThing) and SomeThing.somePropertyOrMethod.

Er, we have covered that above. Simply download it, for free.
10. I came to the (possibly wrong) conclusion that paragraph 9. is not
doable for the set of OS listed in the paragraph 2.
- unless some semi-hacking methods implemented like calling Microsoft
Office application dialogs.

Once again you are drifting into totally unintellibile blather and I no
longer understand what you are talking about.

Care to try for a #5?

However I think we have covered the OP's question. Simply redistribute
comdls32.ocx. End of story.

--
Cheers, Richard.
If you are reading this using google groups then also read this:

VK

rf said:
Yep. You listed them in the wrong order though.

I listed them in the relevance of the posted problem, by how relevant
OCX / DLL changed / got slightly-totally incompatible.
If you have some development experience you agree on that, otherwise
just take my word for it.
Care to try for a #5?

I will - but now I'm not sure if you are really willing to understand
the problem - or you are just making some strange public statement
about my ability to express myself.

Attempt #5

document.execCommand('Open') displays Internet Explorer Open dialog.

At the moment you call this method you don't know (though you may check
it) and you don't really care what kind of FileOpen dialog will be
displayed: rather plain of Windows 98, left-panned of ME, "fat and
dimensional" of XP, extended "Office style" of XP SP2 with latest
Office installed.

I also do not need to install any additional software or care if an
additional control is registered.

Unfortunately document.execCommand('Open') cannot be used as an
interface for my own program: it's simply File > Open command shortcut.

Unfortunately I don't have (or I couldn't find yet) such version
independent, installation free method I could use through
ActiveXObject.

It is a shame because XPConnect on say Firefox allows it to do easily -
w/o any additional controls and Windows versions problems.

Do you follow me?