Data Structures book recommendation for newbie?

Guest

Hi, my college course starts next week and the book we are going to use seems too difficult for me to understand.

It is named "Fundamentals of Data Structures in C++" by Ellis Horowitz, Sartaj Sahni, and Dinesh Mehta.

Anyone know of a really good beginners "for dummies" data structures book (stack, queues, lists, trees) so that when I read the course book it'll make more sense to me?

Thanks in advance.

Thomas Matthews

Hi, my college course starts next week and the book we are going to use seems too difficult for me to understand.

It is named "Fundamentals of Data Structures in C++" by Ellis Horowitz, Sartaj Sahni, and Dinesh Mehta.

Anyone know of a really good beginners "for dummies" data structures book (stack, queues, lists, trees) so that when I read the course book it'll make more sense to me?

Thanks in advance.
Try using a search engine and searching the newsgroups
for something like "book data structures".

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
Other sites:

osmium

Hi, my college course starts next week and the book we are going to use
seems too difficult for me to understand.
It is named "Fundamentals of Data Structures in C++" by Ellis Horowitz,
Sartaj Sahni, and Dinesh Mehta.
Anyone know of a really good beginners "for dummies" data structures book
(stack, queues, lists, trees) so that when I read the course book it'll make
more sense to me?

My favorite introductory book is _Data Structures with Abstract Data Types
and Pascal_ by Stubbs & Webre. Don't be put off by the Pascal in the title,
anyone ready for a data structures course should be able to at least "read"
Pascal automagically, think of it as pseudocode that can actually be
compiled. Lots of drawings, which the subject needs, at least at this
level.

The book is out of print but if you already have library privileges you
might be able to get the only copy for yourself.

I have the language free version of Sahni and consider it kind of "middle of
the road", not good not bad. I think this is the same Sahni I took a course
from so I think of it as the Sahni book instead of the Horowitz book. He
was a good instructor.

Fuggilumper

I've been fumbling around with C++ for two years and it still gets me.
I used the book: Practical Data Structures In C++ by Bryan Flaming.
published by wiley. it worked for me, good luck!!

ES Kim

Code Poet said:
The subject of data sturctures and algorithms is usually not for "dummies",
but having said that, one of the best books I read that is perfect for
getting your feet wet with the subject is the book "Sams Teach Yourself Data
Structures and Algorithms in 24 Hours" by Robert Lafore. I usually stay the

Sounds interesting. Is there any book such as
"Teach Yourself 24 Languages in One Hour"?