DataGrid - Options for displaying many items in one row without requiring scrolling - HELP!

James Radke

Hello,

I have a web page (vb.net within VS.NET 2003) where we have approximately 15
columns that we would like to display via datagrid. Given the avg screen
size is not enough space to see all of this without scrolling back and
forth, I was curious what options I may have to display all the data
effectively within the grid and still eliminate the need for the scrolling?

At first I thought something similar to a Hierarchical data presentation
with Plus's and minus to expand a column, but, since all the data is truly
one record, that doesn't seem to apply.

And, I could not find any reference to being able to display multiple lines
of information within one data row....

Does anyone out there have any other options for me? And, if you do, is
there some sample code that you can point me to?

Thanks!

Jim

Michael Pearson

Well, if you want to move away from the datagrid, you can use a Repeater.
It's basicalyl the same concept as a datagrid, except you write the HTML
that formats the data, instead of letting the grid write the HTML. I've
used a bunch of these, and they work great for a "custom" grid type solution
like you are looking for. From what I've read, they are also faster than a
datagrid.

http://www.learnasp.com/freebook/learn/templates1.aspx

Michael

Jeffrey Tan[MSFT]

Hi James,

You can custom display format of the data in the DataGrid.
For example, you can only display some certain columns of the DataBase.

I think you can not display a row of database data in multirows, because
the second(or below) line will share the same column with the first line,
but they should use different lines.
Maybe you can use 2 or more datagird, all bind to the same database, but
display different columns.

Also, I think you can set pagination for columns, but doing this you can
not see all the columns at the same time which may be an inconvenient.

Hope this helps,

Best regards,
Jeffrey Tan
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
| From: "James Radke" <[email protected]>
| Subject: DataGrid - Options for displaying many items in one row without
requiring scrolling - HELP!
| Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 16:50:43 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
|
| Hello,
|
| I have a web page (vb.net within VS.NET 2003) where we have approximately
15
| columns that we would like to display via datagrid. Given the avg screen
| size is not enough space to see all of this without scrolling back and
| forth, I was curious what options I may have to display all the data
| effectively within the grid and still eliminate the need for the
scrolling?

| At first I thought something similar to a Hierarchical data presentation
| with Plus's and minus to expand a column, but, since all the data is
truly
| one record, that doesn't seem to apply.
|
| And, I could not find any reference to being able to display multiple
lines
| of information within one data row....
|
| Does anyone out there have any other options for me? And, if you do, is
| there some sample code that you can point me to?
|
| Thanks!
|
| Jim

Jeffrey Tan[MSFT]

Hello,

To only display some certain columns in the datagrid, you should edit the
columns property of the datagrid, and set every column's datafield.

Best regards,
Jeffrey Tan
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Jeffrey Tan[MSFT])
| Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 03:20:50 GMT
| Subject: RE: DataGrid - Options for displaying many items in one row
without requiring scrolling - HELP!

| Hi James,
|
| You can custom display format of the data in the DataGrid.
| For example, you can only display some certain columns of the DataBase.
|
| I think you can not display a row of database data in multirows, because
| the second(or below) line will share the same column with the first line,
| but they should use different lines.
| Maybe you can use 2 or more datagird, all bind to the same database, but
| display different columns.
|
| Also, I think you can set pagination for columns, but doing this you can
| not see all the columns at the same time which may be an inconvenient.
|
| Hope this helps,
|
| Best regards,
| Jeffrey Tan
| Microsoft Online Partner Support
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.
|
| --------------------
| | From: "James Radke" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: DataGrid - Options for displaying many items in one row
without
| requiring scrolling - HELP!
| | Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 16:50:43 -0500
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
| |
| | Hello,
| |
| | I have a web page (vb.net within VS.NET 2003) where we have
approximately
| 15
| | columns that we would like to display via datagrid. Given the avg
screen
| | size is not enough space to see all of this without scrolling back and
| | forth, I was curious what options I may have to display all the data
| | effectively within the grid and still eliminate the need for the
| scrolling?
| |
| | At first I thought something similar to a Hierarchical data presentation
| | with Plus's and minus to expand a column, but, since all the data is
| truly
| | one record, that doesn't seem to apply.
| |
| | And, I could not find any reference to being able to display multiple
| lines
| | of information within one data row....
| |
| | Does anyone out there have any other options for me? And, if you do, is
| | there some sample code that you can point me to?
| |
| | Thanks!
| |
| | Jim