Deploying .NET

Adam Knight

Hi all,

I have started using VS as opposed to Web Matrix, thus benefiting from the
ability to precompile my app.

With VS I know all my app code is compiled in the bin directory, so all
functionality is available from the resulting library.
I am just wondering how i go about deploying my app without the associated
source files (.vb, .cs).

What changes do i have to make?
What is the overall process?

Help appreciated!!

Cheers,
Adam

JDP@Work

IMHO, I create a local folder by the same name with either _Out or _Copy as a
suffix.

Then w/the proj open in the IDE, |Project, |Copy Project to this folder, select
the option, |Only files needed to run this application

I then PKZip'm up, copy paste, unZip. If I'm slick I build w/the webconfig file
set to Production or I have a pre-edited version kept in a safe place on the
production box so that I can copy what I'm unzipping then copy the config file
in and all is well.

Perhaps there is a more automated way to deploy, but often working remote and
NOT on a VPN does not allow much of an alternative.

Now I'm spoiled and this method works for me and is quite quick & simple.

The only thing that I do that may not be needed is to delete everything in the
production web folder except the app web folder and the config file before I
copy what I've unzipped. I do this so that any files that I purposely have
removed from the project are removed from production as well.

I don't use SourceSafe, but I do make many incremental backups, CD's, DVD's
(with large projects) that include the SQL database as I usually keep my fields
dynamically generated and their validation is server side in TSQL.

HTH

JeffP....