Dll in both Bin and Debug folder

tshad

When you do a build in VS 2003 you get a DLL in both the obj\debug(or
release) folders as well as the bin folder.

If you are going to use the DLL in some other probject or point another
project to this DLL, would you use or point at the DLL in the Bin folder?

Thanks,

Tom

GroupReader

I believe you can just copy the .dll to your project's .bin folder and
it will work. This is decent option if the .dll is complete and you
don't foresee changing it often. I do this for third-party .dlls from
microsoft or infragistics that I don't plan on changing.

For my own .dlls that I create, I usuall add the project to my
solution, then reference the project from the other project that wants
to use it. When you recompile the solution, all dlls will be
recompiled and automatically copied to the correct .bin folders.

Rad [Visual C# MVP]

When you do a build in VS 2003 you get a DLL in both the obj\debug(or
release) folders as well as the bin folder.

If you are going to use the DLL in some other probject or point another
project to this DLL, would you use or point at the DLL in the Bin folder?

Thanks,

Tom

Where possible, use project references over direct DLL references,
especially if the DLL is changing frequently so as to save you the hassle
of removing and adding again. Remember .NET versions these DLL to protet
you from DLL hell

tshad

Rad said:
Where possible, use project references over direct DLL references,
especially if the DLL is changing frequently so as to save you the hassle
of removing and adding again. Remember .NET versions these DLL to protet
you from DLL hell

Right, but when you move the application to the server - you would have to
move the DLLs to that server.

Also, I was curious if I should point them at the DLL that is created in the
bin folder verses the release or debug folders. I assume the DLL in the Bin
folder will be the last build. It will either be the same as the one in the
release folder or the debug folder, depending on what mode was built last.

Thanks,

Tom