doing some ocr stuff with java

mambenanje

I need help on a little practise project I am undertaking right now. I
have a couple of question papers with diagrams and text and I wish to
scan the papers to either pdf format or jpeg png format. my main
problem is to read the file using java and extract the images and
questions. can some one help me or give me a clue on this

Ingo R. Homann

Hi,

I need help on a little practise project...

"OCR" is nothing you will solve in "a little practise project". Forget
it. (Use an existing OCR-Software instead or type it into your computer
by yourself). There is nothing to say more about that...

Ciao,
Ingo

Brandon McCombs

I need help on a little practise project I am undertaking right now. I
have a couple of question papers with diagrams and text and I wish to
scan the papers to either pdf format or jpeg png format. my main
problem is to read the file using java and extract the images and
questions. can some one help me or give me a clue on this

As Ingo said, OCR isn't something you can just throw together. It is
very sensitive and your results can vary (especially when dealing with
OCR software for faxes, which is where I've dealt with it, but that's
another issue). Do you need to search the text that is on your diagrams
or be able to copy/paste it into another application? If not, then you
don't even need OCR but just something that can read the existing file
format and convert to your pdf/jpg/png format.

OCR actually reads the text in your source and separates it from the
image version of the text so you can manipulate it as text but if you
don't actually have a need to manipulate it like that then you don't
need OCR.

mambenanje

ok thanks for the help,
this is what I want to do
1) scan the question paper to any file format
2) get the text and pictures found on the file analyse them with no
human copying and pasting
3) send the information into a database

this will help me work with several question papers and when papers
come in future I only have to scan then pass it thru the application. I
cannot use another OCR tool for this, well maybe I cant cos I dont know