Domain Registering Companies Reserving Domain Names

AF

Has anyone else noticed this:

3 times now, I have gone out for a client and did a whois search at my
domain registration company, which for now wil remain unnamed.

Within a week of searching for several unused domain names, my clients
decided on a domin name, which we then tried to register.

Going back to register one of the names I found, I discovered the
domain name was now "available for sale to the highest bidder."

Is my domain registration company cheating here?

Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks.
best regards,

Al

http://www.discountdrivingschool.com
http://autowarranty.compserver.com

WebcastMaker

bscinc3000 said:
Has anyone else noticed this.....
If the scenario you mention is true (with no embellishment in your
story) then I would get a lawyer, and document it happening, then shut
them down because what they are doing is illegal (in the states)

Kim André Akerø

AF said:
Has anyone else noticed this:

3 times now, I have gone out for a client and did a whois search at my
domain registration company, which for now wil remain unnamed.

Within a week of searching for several unused domain names, my clients
decided on a domin name, which we then tried to register.

Going back to register one of the names I found, I discovered the
domain name was now "available for sale to the highest bidder."

Is my domain registration company cheating here?

Has anyone else seen this?

First of all, I don't know why you're posting this in alt.html. I've added
alt.domain-name.disputes and alt.www.webmaster in case someone in the latter
might know better.

Furthermore, it would seem that the domain registration company is cheating.
I can't know for sure, since you're not exactly providing a lot of
information here (no examples of domain names this has happened to and no
information about who your domain registrar is). Check the domain names
again - if the "domain name for sale to the highest bidder" page belongs to
your domain registration company, then they are certainly cheating. And if
this is the case, I suggest you switch now (ie. transfer all of your domain
names to a more reputable company).

And, of course, if the domain names are trademarks for your client, bring
the domain registrar to court.
http://www.icann.org/udrp/

Augustus

WebcastMaker said:
If the scenario you mention is true (with no embellishment in your
story) then I would get a lawyer, and document it happening, then shut
them down because what they are doing is illegal (in the states)

Being Canadian I am not familiar with US law... what law would make this
illegal? What would it fall under?

Just want to keep track of these things, of what is and isn't actually
legal... the last few months people have really been throwing around the
whole "its illegal" thing, when in reality "its unethical, but perfectly
legal"

Just want to keep track of these things... of what is and isn't actually
legal. The past few months people have really been throwing around the
whole "its illegal" thing, when in reality they are just guessing and the
truth of the matter is "it may be unethical, but perfectly legal"

Wayne...

Yeah I've experienced it myself. As you'll know it's a simple matter to log
all searches for anything and use that information and domains are no
different. Personally I think the whole situation stinks and any company
found doing this should have the right to sell domains revoked.

Whats the point on having a system such as domain names where if you are
lucky or clever enough you can come up with a great name, only for a
company to unethically use your search [and maybe other people with a
similar idea] to register it themselves in the hope of making money!
As I said - IT STINKS!

Wayne...

WebcastMaker

Being Canadian I am not familiar with US law... what law would make this
illegal? What would it fall under?

Depending on what you were trying to register (is the name a trademark?)
it would fall under either the cyber-squating law Clinton signed, or
racketeering laws which prohibit a company from unfairly using
information provided to them in good faith to extort money from a
company.

Talking to a lawyer is your best advice.

Adrienne

Depending on what you were trying to register (is the name a
trademark?) it would fall under either the cyber-squating law Clinton
signed, or racketeering laws which prohibit a company from unfairly
using information provided to them in good faith to extort money from a
company.

Talking to a lawyer is your best advice.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am going to contact a lawyer. My
domain name is being held hostage by some outfit in England and they want
to charge me $350.00US.

Chrissy Cruiser

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am going to contact a lawyer. My
domain name is being held hostage by some outfit in England and they want
to charge me $350.00US.

In the last few years, a band named Jethro Tull wanted to acquire/remove a
website www.jethrotull.com since it contained porn. Ian Anderson sued in an
international court and not only won the URL but a judgment against the
owner for $20K?or so.

http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/html/2000/d2000-0475.html