Don't have Release Mode

Donna

I am attempting to build a web service in .NET 2.0, using Visual Studio
2005. I am able to build it in debug mode, but for deployment, I want
to change to release mode. The problem is that there isn't a release
mode available. The configuration drop down only has debug in it. I
attempted to add a new mode, called Release, but that didn't seem to
help. Have I done something wrong? How come I don't see a Release
mode? I have changed the debug setting to false in my web.config file,
thinking maybe that would help, but no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Donna

Mark Rae

Hi Donna,
I am attempting to build a web service in .NET 2.0, using Visual Studio
2005. I am able to build it in debug mode, but for deployment, I want
to change to release mode. The problem is that there isn't a release
mode available. The configuration drop down only has debug in it. I
attempted to add a new mode, called Release, but that didn't seem to
help. Have I done something wrong? How come I don't see a Release
mode? I have changed the debug setting to false in my web.config file,
thinking maybe that would help, but no luck.

Any ideas?

Do yourself a *HUGE* favour and download and install the Web Deployment
Projects add-on:
http://www.google.com/search?source...LG:2005-48,GGLG:en&q="Web+Deployment+Project"

It contains all the great stuff from v1.1 which Microsoft, er, removed from
v2 but were forced to put back due to pressure from various places...

Apart from Debug / Release mode, it offers the ability to maintain separate
sections of web.config for development, UAT, production etc which is just
wonderful!

Mark

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=F6ran_Andersson?=

The reason that there is no release option in configuration manager is
that this setting is not used for web projects. Instead it's the debug
setting in web.config that decides the mode. Setting it to "false" makes
the project compile in release mode.

(Just to clarify the reason for the missing option, and that the
deployment project isn't neccesarily needed to make it work.)