Error 80070522 attempting to start ASP.NET

Michael D'Angelo

We have a machine running Windows 2000 which is running a 3rd party
application. We recently installed ASP.NET 2.0 on the server to install
some addons for this application. When attempting to browse to an asp.net
site, we get this error in the event log:

"aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
80070522. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure that the
..NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on the installation
directory allow access to the configured account."

It then repeats every minute or so until the server is restarted. As far as
I can tell the acls on the Microsoft.Net folders are correct, read-only for
the framework files, and read/write for Temporary ASP.NET Files. I even
turned on failure auditing, and created an audit entry on the entire drive
for everyone/full control (failures only), and there aren't any errors.

What I did notice, however, is that the World Wide Web Publishing service is
configured to start as a domain account, and *not* as Local System. I've
never seen the www service configured this way before. I looked up that
error code and it's "A required privilege is not held by the client", which
would lead me to believe the account does not have enough rights to launch
the ASP.NET worker process. Before I complain to the vendor about this,
does anyone know if this might cause this issue?

Juan T. Llibre

Michael D'Angelo

I checked every folder listed and the rights are correct. I also tried
doing the aspnet_regiis -ga, and that didn't fix it. Do I have to restart
IIS or anything after I do it?