Failed access to IIS metabase problem - Can anyone help please

Stephen

Server Error in '/FifthValley' Application.

Failed to access IIS metabase.

Exception Details: System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironmentException: Failed to
access IIS metabase.

The process account used to run ASP.NET must have read access to the IIS
metabase (e.g. IIS://servername/W3SVC). For information on modifying metabase
permissions, please see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=267904.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[HostingEnvironmentException: Failed to access IIS metabase.]
System.Web.Configuration.MetabaseServerConfig.MapPathCaching(String
siteID, VirtualPath path) +3492138

System.Web.Configuration.MetabaseServerConfig.System.Web.Configuration.IConfigMapPath.MapPath(String siteID, VirtualPath vpath) +9
System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.MapPathActual(VirtualPath
virtualPath, Boolean permitNull) +163
System.Web.CachedPathData.GetConfigPathData(String configPath) +382
System.Web.CachedPathData.GetConfigPathData(String configPath) +243
System.Web.CachedPathData.GetApplicationPathData() +68
System.Web.CachedPathData.GetVirtualPathData(VirtualPath virtualPath,
Boolean permitPathsOutsideApp) +3385647
System.Web.Configuration.RuntimeConfig.GetLKGRuntimeConfig(VirtualPath
path) +189

Consultant

did you run thru the tool on it? check registry, file permissions, kerberos,
etc..?

Stephen

hello there
we have resolved the issue and did this by re-installing asp.net 2 the
install was corrupt . i believe that it was installed in the incorrect order
we were using iso images of the operating system that iis was not running on
and were running iis after asp.net was installed ,,,making sure iis is
running before installing the asp.net 2.0 resolved our issue
--
Regards
Stephen

Mike Dunk said:
Hi Stephen,

I am experiencing the same error message with my own application, and am
finding the information at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=267904 mostly
useless.

I have been advised by co-workers that it sounds like a permission problem
and that I need to grant access to the folder where the .aspx file I am
trying to browse occurs.

However, I am not having much success with this approach yet. If you have a
breakthrough I would be interested to hear how you solved it. If I solve it I
will let you know how.

Best of luck,

Mike

Stephen said:
[...]

Mike Dunk

Thank you Dominick and Consultant for your help. I'm using IIS V5.1, so I
found metabase.bin in C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv and made sure the local
users have access to it.

sbense

This error occurs when the .NET framework has been installed before
IIS was installed. I had this isse with a new Windows XP machine,
where the .NET framework was pre-installed but IIS had not been
configured.

Run these commands from the .NET VS2005 command prompt or from
the .NET framework folder under
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322 for .NET 1.1
OR
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727 for .NET 2.0

You only need to run these commands for the framework you would like
your web apps to target.

aspnet_regiis -i
this may not be strictly required, but do it to be sure
aspnet_regiis -ga <THEUSERNAMEINUPPERCASE>

Of course reinstalling the .NET framework would achieve the same
result.