Failed to access IIS metabase (ASP.NET 2.0)

Kivak Wolf

Hey all,

First off, I know some people have had this problem, and I read their
post. However, I am still clueless... =( Here's the problem:

I have a local IIS on my computer which I am using to run ASP.NET 2.0
locally. However, after I build my web page and try to show it in the
browser, it gives this error:

---

Failed to access IIS metabase.

Exception Details: System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironmentException:
Failed to access IIS metabase.

The process account used to run ASP.NET must have read access to the
IIS metabase (e.g. IIS://servername/W3SVC). For information on
modifying metabase permissions, please see
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=267904.

---

Now, I did go to the link which told me to type:
aspnet_regiis -ga <WindowsUserAccount> into the Visual Studio command
prompt. Now, my username to my computer is "Kivak". Is that what I put
in replacement to <WindowsUserAccount>?? I tried that and it keeps
coming back with how to use the command... Is there something I am
missing?

Thanks,
Kivak

Kivak Wolf

To update: I tried the username of KIVAK all uppercase and it granted
the rights. However, I keep getting the same message when i try to go
to the website. =(

Kivak Wolf

Update: I solved the problem using the other thread (after much
comtemplation of the contents). If your interested in the solution, I
ended up entering the following lines into the Visual Studio command
prompt:

aspnet_regiis -i
aspnet_regiis -ga <THEUSERNAMEINUPPERCASE>

I don't know if you need the second line, but I did it anyway.