Feedback Needed for a new design (layout).

dorayme

"Chaddy2222 said:

The last I mentioned is still there? iCab now has no explicit
complaints re the code (it has a way of indicating things like
this, I won't go into details) but it still displays almost
nothing of your page, just dark blue, a paler blue rectangle and
the words "Welcome To Web Design For  the site." in this paler
rect.

Andrew

Hi Chad,

Just a few thoughts on what looks like a lot of work by you:

* I am getting horizontal scrolling at most screen resolutions. This is
on Firefox 2 on Xubuntu Linux, I could not see the reason.

* I actually quite like the bold colours, although I suspect others may
find them a little challenging, or is this only for testing? The Internet
seems quite pastel these days :)

* The source code is a little difficult to read, I gather you have run
HTML Tidy across it? As a relative newcomer to analysing other sites I
find this source code layout difficult to read. Could be my problem :)

* A question from me: I have not seen 'opacity' used before. Will this be
widely supported? I gather some gymnastics are required for this to work
in IE :)

* Is it your intention for the main content in #right to run under the
#left div?

* Your body background colour #33CCFF is peeping around many of the divs.
Is this your intention?

Certainly looks like you have put a lot of work into this template, I
will watch with keen interest as you fine-tune it! I have placed a
screenshot of your template online (Xubuntu Firefox 2):

http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/chad.png

All the very best,

Andrew

Paul Watt

Chaddy2222 said:
Hi all, I kind of was in a horry before and forgot to give my post a
proper subject line. So there it is again.

Hey Chad,

Looking better mate. The colours are a bit too "in your face" for me, but
thats just my opionion. I get a horizontal scroll bar at 1024x768 and i cant
figure out why. I think your footer div is too tall, it doesnt need to take
up so much screen estate.
Overall, an improvement though.

--
Cheers

Paul watt
http://www.paulwattdesigns.com
http://www.amnesty.org

Chaddy2222

Hey Chad,

Looking better mate. The colours are a bit too "in your face" for me, but
thats just my opionion. I get a horizontal scroll bar at 1024x768 and i cant
figure out why. I think your footer div is too tall, it doesnt need to take
up so much screen estate.
Overall, an improvement though.
Hi Paul.
Thanks mate. I am not sure if you noticed the lay-out yesterday,
presumeing so. But, yeah it's a lot better then that. I'll take a look
at it later. I am currently in the process of consuming grog at the
moment, going down quite well after a dam flat-out day of studying and
stuff. But i'll take a peak in the next day or so though and report
back.

John Hosking

Chaddy2222 said:
Hi all, I kind of was in a horry before and forgot to give my post a proper
subject line. So there it is again.

Hi Chaddy,

Your horizontal scroll bar comes from overfilling the width, of course.

#footer {
margin: 0.2em;
padding: 20px;
width: 100%; }

#container {
margin: 0.2em;
width: 100%; }

It looks much better than what I saw yesterday (Tuesday). I do not like
the bullets on the nav list though. Maybe you want to correct #li to the
correct selector li (without the hash mark).

Hope this helps.

Chaddy2222

Hi Chaddy,

Your horizontal scroll bar comes from overfilling the width, of course.

#footer {
margin: 0.2em;
padding: 20px;
width: 100%; }

#container {
margin: 0.2em;
width: 100%; }

It looks much better than what I saw yesterday (Tuesday). I do not like
the bullets on the nav list though. Maybe you want to correct #li to the
correct selector li (without the hash mark).

Hope this helps.
Thanks John. I'll take a look a bit later, as it's 3 AM here in Aus
and I have been for a bit of a night out, so i'm kind of not quite in
a fit enough state to fiddle with CSS stuff at the moment.

Paul Watt

Chaddy2222 said:
Hi Paul.
I have had some sleep thanks.Anyhow, getting back on-topic, I have
just updated the CSS and it now works fine in FF2 and Opera 9.1 on
WinXP. But, IE6 does not seam to like it much. I can't quite work out
why. Oh and I got rid of the scroll bars that wern't needed.
Find it here: http://www.freewebdesign.cjb.cc/temp/testtemplate

If you get rid of the width:90% on #right and add float:left things look
better.You can play with the padding and things from there.

--
Cheers

Paul watt
http://www.paulwattdesigns.com
http://www.amnesty.org

Chaddy2222

If you get rid of the width:90% on #right and add float:left things look
better.You can play with the padding and things from there.
Thanks heeps Paul. I'll take a look at that shortly.

Jeff

Well, no complaints about the html but... and I don't know where this
started at...

Too many color families. And they don't mix well!

IE6 does not get the flow pattern and shows the content below the nav.

In all browsers I checked the widths are like a mismatched stack of
boxes. Using *a* table to structure a layout has it's uses. When it
comes right down to it, your clients will care more about how tidy the
site looks rather than how tidy the html is. Your call, but with modern
complex layouts tableless is an advanced art. Not that with this simple
layout you shouldn't be able to go tableless, but you are not there yet!

Jeff

Chaddy2222

Well, no complaints about the html but... and I don't know where this
started at...

Too many color families. And they don't mix well!

IE6 does not get the flow pattern and shows the content below the nav.

In all browsers I checked the widths are like a mismatched stack of
boxes. Using *a* table to structure a layout has it's uses. When it
comes right down to it, your clients will care more about how tidy the
site looks rather than how tidy the html is. Your call, but with modern
complex layouts tableless is an advanced art. Not that with this simple
layout you shouldn't be able to go tableless, but you are not there yet!

Jeff

Hi all, I kind of was in a horry before and forgot to give my post a proper
subject line. So there it is again.- Hide quoted text -
Umm did you not READ THE PREVIOUS POST!.
I am well aware of the issue with IE (hence why I need to get the
other CSS working for it. It's is not my problem that Microsoft do not
follow proper web standards. It's a CSS support issue, the layout
works ok in FF2 and Opera. Well a lot better then in IE anyway.
It's also only in beta form, check out my main site for a better
looking page (though it will look better in FF then IE, cause IE is a
bit shit, though IE7 is a bit less shit. In fact I don't IE7, but I
can't use it as it does not work with my screne reading software.

Chaddy2222

Umm did you not READ THE PREVIOUS POST!.
I am well aware of the issue with IE (hence why I need to get the
other CSS working for it. It's is not my problem that Microsoft do not
follow proper web standards. It's a CSS support issue, the layout
works ok in FF2 and Opera. Well a lot better then in IE anyway.
It's also only in beta form, check out my main site for a better
looking page (though it will look better in FF then IE, cause IE is a
bit shit, though IE7 is a bit less shit. In fact I don't IE7, but I
can't use it as it does not work with my screne reading software.
Umm I think I ment to say there that I like IE7. Though I prefer Opera
and FireFox.
I am still not sure what's wrong with the conditional comments I am
useing though. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

John Hosking

Chaddy2222 said:
Umm I think I ment to say there that I like IE7. Though I prefer Opera
and FireFox.
I am still not sure what's wrong with the conditional comments I am
useing though. Any suggestions?

You have <!--[if IE6> which is missing a closing bracket.
You need <!--[if IE6]>.
(Assuming you are targeting _only_ IE6 and not, say, IE5.5 or IE7.)

Good luck.

Bergamot

Chaddy2222 said:
Umm did you not READ THE PREVIOUS POST!.

Umm, I don't see where you responded to the general design issues that
Jeff raised. You asked for feedback, and he mentioned the stuff that, to
me, make your attempt look far less attractive than it could be.

Regardless of browser, alignments and spacing are terrible, as is the
use of color (unless you were *trying* for something garish ;) ).
Consider getting a book on design, for example, "Design for
non-designers" by Robin Williams.

Learn something about things like balance, alignment, judicious use of
white space and color, and your stuff will look a lot better.

In the meantime, here are some suggestions...

1. Get rid of the rule: * {margin:0; padding:0}

Set explicit margins and padding only on those elements that need
something different than the defaults. In your case, that would be the
navigation menu list elements, and possibly headings.

2. Have <div id="containter"> encase the whole page, not just the
header. You can set it width:90% with margin:auto and get rid of the
widths on all the other containers. That will result in nice even edges
on the left and right sides of the page, which alone will make it look
way better.

HTH and HAND