First edition of _Programming perl_, how useful is it?

Alex Withers

I have a first edition of _Programming perl_ and I am curious as to
how much of it is obsolete and/or irrelevant.

Thanks,
Alex

John J. Trammell

I have a first edition of _Programming perl_ and I am curious as to
how much of it is obsolete and/or irrelevant.

It's 100% obsolete and irrelevant. Perl 4 is dead, dead, dead.

But I'll buy it from you, if it's in good shape.

Alex Withers

It's 100% obsolete and irrelevant. Perl 4 is dead, dead, dead.

But I'll buy it from you, if it's in good shape.

Not mine to sell, just to use. Thanks anyway.

Alex

Randal L. Schwartz

Alex> I have a first edition of _Programming perl_ and I am curious as to
Alex> how much of it is obsolete and/or irrelevant.

I had to chuckle, because I read that as "irreverent". :)

Uri Guttman

PG> A reader should learn ANSI C before learning C++ just as a reader
PG> should learn Perl 4 before learning Perl 5. Both Perl 5 and Perl
PG> 6 are built upon Perl 4 as is Perl 4 built upon earlier
PG> versions. Perl 4, however, is a good beginning point for those
PG> wanting to learn how to become really good Perl programmers, sans
PG> plug n play Perl 5 modules, which teach little.

ignore this balderdash. perl4 doesn't exist anymore except in the minds
of delusions people like moronzilla. just a short while back she was
blathering that perl5 should never be used and modules are evil. now she
tells people to use LWP.

PG> This is a highly typical pyramid scheme employed at
PG> all levels of education. Without a good foundation,
PG> a pinnacle of learning will never be achieved.

too bad you are still in the subterranean chambers way below the
surface. go teach robin how to code and then the two of you can leave us
all alone. you let for a few months, (probably to check back into the
looney bin). why wasn't that vacation permanent?

uri

Chris Mattern

Purl said:
A reader should learn ANSI C before learning C++ just
as a reader should learn Perl 4 before learning Perl 5.
Both Perl 5 and Perl 6 are built upon Perl 4 as is
Perl 4 built upon earlier versions. Perl 4, however,
is a good beginning point for those wanting to learn
how to become really good Perl programmers, sans
plug n play Perl 5 modules, which teach little.

This is a highly typical pyramid scheme employed at
all levels of education. Without a good foundation,
a pinnacle of learning will never be achieved.
Where do you get this? By your logic, I should know how to
hardwire program an ENIAC before I do anything else with
computers...
--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

John Bokma

Purl said:
For a beginner like yourself,

*cough* sure ;-) If you knew a bit ANSI C and C++ you would understand
how silly your statement was. But, hey, good trolling ;-)

Matija Papec

Purl Gurl said:
A reader should learn ANSI C before learning C++ just
as a reader should learn Perl 4 before learning Perl 5.
Both Perl 5 and Perl 6 are built upon Perl 4 as is
Perl 4 built upon earlier versions. Perl 4, however,
is a good beginning point for those wanting to learn
how to become really good Perl programmers, sans
plug n play Perl 5 modules, which teach little.

You should probably write a perl/programing book; might be a bestseller. :)

Anno Siegel

You should probably write a perl/programing book; might be a bestseller. :)

Don't give her ideas! Some publishers will print *anything*.

Anno

Thomas Kratz

Anno said:

You should probably write a perl/programing book; might be a bestseller. :)

Don't give her ideas! Some publishers will print *anything*.

But it would keep her busy. And a book is so much easier to ignore.

Thomas

Chris Mattern

Thomas said:
Anno said:

You should probably write a perl/programing book; might be a bestseller.
:)

Don't give her ideas! Some publishers will print *anything*.

But it would keep her busy. And a book is so much easier to ignore.
Until we start getting the dozens of posts from clueless lusers
wondering why their code based on what they learned from the book
doesn't work....
--

Thomas Kratz said:
Anno said:

You should probably write a perl/programing book; might be a bestseller. :)

Don't give her ideas! Some publishers will print *anything*.

But it would keep her busy. And a book is so much easier to ignore.

Nah, it won't.

Hi group,

I am using _All of Perl In Five Minutes_ by Godzilla,
and in chapter 27 there is this code:

$ENV{QUERY_STRING} = "Purl+Gurl+Rocks!";
$ENV{QUERY_STRING} =~ tr/+/ /;
print $ENV{QUERY_STRING};

What does it do, and what is it good for? Tnx in advance.

A Noob

Anno

Randal L. Schwartz

Chris> Until we start getting the dozens of posts from clueless lusers
Chris> wondering why their code based on what they learned from the book
Chris> doesn't work....

Yeah, that happened with one of the first non-O'Reilly Perl books
too. We had a rash of posts here wondering why:

$n = ('a', 'b', 'c');

didn't return the number 3, because the explanation of the comma
operator was completely absent, and the relevant book text implied
that "any list in a scalar context returns the number of items".
Wrong. So very wrong.

print "Just another Perl hacker,"; # the first!

Thomas Kratz

Anno said:
Thomas Kratz said:
Anno said:

You should probably write a perl/programing book; might be a bestseller. :)

Don't give her ideas! Some publishers will print *anything*.

But it would keep her busy. And a book is so much easier to ignore.

Nah, it won't.

Hi group,

I am using _All of Perl In Five Minutes_ by Godzilla,
and in chapter 27 there is this code:

$ENV{QUERY_STRING} = "Purl+Gurl+Rocks!";
$ENV{QUERY_STRING} =~ tr/+/ /;
print $ENV{QUERY_STRING};

What does it do, and what is it good for? Tnx in advance.

A Noob

Ok ok, you're right. The idea of her being busy elsewhere was too
tempting. The last few months without her were too good, *Sigh*. Has she
stopped taking her medication again?

Thomas

Uri Guttman

TK> Ok ok, you're right. The idea of her being busy elsewhere was too
TK> tempting. The last few months without her were too good,
TK> *Sigh*. Has she stopped taking her medication again?

i think she went in for her annual visit to the looney bin. she gets
better (notice her calmer and quieter demeanor when she came back a
month ago). then she falls off her meds and the old delusional paranoid
schizo takes over again. i think the cabal should make her doctors up
her dosage of thorazine until she joins the python groups.

uri

bishop

Randal L. Schwartz said:
Alex> I have a first edition of _Programming perl_ and I am curious as to
Alex> how much of it is obsolete and/or irrelevant.

I had to chuckle, because I read that as "irreverent". :)

I wondered what that was you were chuckling at, at the computer next to
mine that morning. But you certainly are irreverent.

Speaking of older editions of Camel, I still only have a second edition.
Is it worth getting the third edition even if your name is not on it any
more?

-E