Formview doesn't work on update with asp:Table. Now what?

David

I'm pretty new at ASP.Net, and I have run into a problem. I have been tasked
to write an application, and it is supposed to mimic an existing form,
including layout, as closely as possible. A page contains information about
a single part, but there are lots of fields.

An asp:formview object seemed like an obvious choice, so I made one of
those. Then, since I had to specify layouts to match an existing form, I
needed a way to position the fields properly, so I used an asp:Table, along
with asp:TableRow and asp:TableCell objects. So far so
good....except....there's a bug and asp:Table objects don't end up updating
the database when you put them in an EditItemTemplate, so you can't really
use them in a FormView.

that seems to work, but it isn't as easy to deal with as their <asp:>
equivalents.

Is there a more "standard" way of dealing with forms that take their data
from a single data row, and have to be formatted with particular layouts that
aren't based on a grid-like layout?

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi David,
Is there a more "standard" way of dealing with forms that take their data
from a single data row, and have to be formatted with particular layouts that
aren't based on a grid-like layout?

I believe what you did is the "standard" way. To get a more flexible
layout, <div> is a better choice than <table>, however. The following
article compares <div> with <table>.

http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=TablesVsDivs

Please try to use <div> and feel free to ask if you have additional
questions.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

(e-mail address removed).

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi David,
Is there a more "standard" way of dealing with forms that take their data
from a single data row, and have to be formatted with particular layouts that
aren't based on a grid-like layout?

Do you have any progress on this issue?

Regards,
Allen Chen