Getting jabber:iq:last with xmpppy

Discussion in 'Python' started by georgeencina, Apr 7, 2008.

  1. georgeencina

    georgeencina Guest

    Hi,
    I'm trying to do the following with the xmpppy library:
    - log on to the google jabber server
    - get idle time of one specific person on my roster.

    Idle time means the values of jabber:iq:last.

    When I do this in pidgin with the xmpp console open, I get the
    following conversation:

    (me)
    <iq type='get' id='purpleb22cf798' to='/
    Gaim2AD95550'>
    <query xmlns='jabber:iq:last'/>
    </iq>

    (other person)
    <iq type='result' id='purpleb22cf798' to='/
    GaimA9B7F02F' from='/Gaim2AD95550'>
    <query xmlns='jabber:iq:last' seconds='126517'/>
    </iq>

    Now, I'd like to do the same in python.
    I'm logged in to the server with the following code.

    import xmpp
    login = 'georgeencina' # @gmail.com
    pwd = 'secret'
    cnx = xmpp.Client('gmail.com')
    cnx.connect( server=('talk.google.com',5223) )
    cnx.auth(login,pwd, 'idlewatcher')

    What would be the next step? I saw there is an xmpp.Iq class, which I
    suppose is what I need to work with to construct the message I
    observed in Pidgin.

    Does anyone have some quick lines of code on how to construct and send
    the message, and how to receive the response?

    Thanks,
    George

    georgeencina, Apr 7, 2008