Give me some advice about some books of Java programing!

yuyazhang

Hi,
I am a beginner of java programing ! In general, I use tool Ecilpse
to program; I hope that some experienced java programer give me some
advice about how to master java programing and which
to select books of java !

Thank you!

Zhang

derek

I am a beginner of java programing ! In general, I use tool Ecilpse
to program; I hope that some experienced java programer give me some
advice about how to master java programing and which
to select books of java !

I would recommend 'Head First Java' by Bert Bates & Kathy Sierra.
(O'Reilly). Very understandable en very funny !

ossareh

I'd definitely recommend Thinking in Java to anyone wanting to learn
Java. It's a great book simply because it becomes such a great
reference book once you're familiar with it. I've just bought the 5th
edition, which includes chapers on generics amongst other things.

Roedy Green

I am a beginner of java programing ! In general, I use tool Ecilpse
to program; I hope that some experienced java programer give me some
advice about how to master java programing and which
to select books of java !

Usually books on very specific topics are most useful. You can learn
most of what you need to know about Java in general from free
materials. O'Reilly make a good series.

If you google with "recommend book" site:mindprod.com then the
topic, you should get a recommendation.

Homer

I always believe JBuilder is much easier to use than Eclipse specially
for begining. You can download the Founational version for free from
Borland.

marcwentink

[about books and stuff]

Hey Zhang,

What is very important in an advice on books is your own background.
For example are you a novice also to programming, or do you have
background programming knowledge? The best way to find a good book is
to find out why others dislike it. I can see in Amazon that a few
people dislike the book Thinking In Java, because it assumes some C++
knowledge. And then I know, this book is perfect for me, since I have
thorough C++ knowledge and was looking for a book that could explain me
Java stuff without bothering me with the explanation what a for loop
actually is.

Marc Wentink

yuyazhang

Thank you ! I am a graduate, and I has had a lot of knownologe about
basis of Java. I mean that how to master java programing !

Chris Smith

yuyazhang said:
I am a beginner of java programing ! In general, I use tool Ecilpse
to program; I hope that some experienced java programer give me some
advice about how to master java programing and which
to select books of java !

If you are an accomplished programmer trying to learn Java, then the
book "Java Precisely" by P. Sestoft seems pretty good from what I've
seen of it.

Otherwise, TIJ is a good recommendation, as is following internet
resources (and in particular, Sun's Java Tutorial). I'd suggest
following that up with a more comprehensive and rigorous coverage of the
language to ensure you haven't missed something; Gosling, Joy, et al
have "The Java Programming Language" which does that very well, and is
considerably more readable at first than the language spec.

Other good books include anything by Josh Bloch (Effective Java or the
newer Java Puzzlers), but those should come after you think you know the
language.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation