Hello World...

Steve

Hi, I am just beginning my journey into C++. I have a book here and found in
the first tutorial "HelloWorld" that I had a backward warning. After some
research into the code I typed I found that there was a standard so I guess
this book is based on old code. It didn't take long and I found what I
needed to fix it. I am using Borland BuilderX personal edition, which gave
me the warning, but I also have a copy of Borland Turbo 1.01 and this old
code worked fine. Which I expected to happen.

I would like to know, should I buy a new book that is based on the standard
to learn from? or might it be better to keep going through this book, but
knowing that there is a standard and that there may be a few warnings here
and there? ...I am just thinking becuase I have 2 programs based on old and
new ways of writing C++ that it might be a good idea to know about both for
the learning process, as it may help for debugging later.. I don't know.

Thanks in advance,
Steve.

Victor Bazarov

Steve said:
Hi, I am just beginning my journey into C++. I have a book here and found in
the first tutorial "HelloWorld" that I had a backward warning. After some
research into the code I typed I found that there was a standard so I guess
this book is based on old code. It didn't take long and I found what I
needed to fix it. I am using Borland BuilderX personal edition, which gave
me the warning, but I also have a copy of Borland Turbo 1.01 and this old
code worked fine. Which I expected to happen.

I would like to know, should I buy a new book that is based on the standard
to learn from?

It's always a good idea to have a decent book.
or might it be better to keep going through this book, but
knowing that there is a standard and that there may be a few warnings here
and there?

The non-standard-compliance of the code in that book is also tainted by the
non-compliance of the compiler you're using. It's much better to know which
part of the system is not working for you. For that you need either
a completely correct compiler (hard to find) or a completely correct book
(much easier to find).
...I am just thinking becuase I have 2 programs based on old and
new ways of writing C++ that it might be a good idea to know about both for
the learning process, as it may help for debugging later.. I don't know.

It might. You could always buy an older book written by somebody who knew
what they were saying, like Stroustrup and Ellis "Annotated Reference
Manual"
or one of earlier editions of "The C++ Programming Language" to see what
the language looked like before. What isn't a good idea is to buy a book
that is full of errors (even by its contemporary measures).

Victor

Mark

[...]

I'd recommend getting some of the 'latest' tools,etc.

Two excellent texts, both free.

C++ Annotations Version 5.1.1a Frank B. Brokken
http://www.icce.rug.nl/documents/cplusplus/cplusplus.html

Here is Bruce Eckel's on-line books: Thinking in C++ Vol 1 & 2,
which are also excellent...

http://www.mindview.net/Books

For more info.
www.aacu.org

Mark

gswork

Steve said:
Hi, I am just beginning my journey into C++. I have a book here and found in
the first tutorial "HelloWorld" that I had a backward warning. After some
research into the code I typed I found that there was a standard so I guess
this book is based on old code. It didn't take long and I found what I
needed to fix it. I am using Borland BuilderX personal edition, which gave
me the warning, but I also have a copy of Borland Turbo 1.01 and this old
code worked fine. Which I expected to happen.

Whilst that old Borland compiler is pretty good by early 90's
standards, and still handy for 16 bit MS-DOS compilers i would not use
it for learning C++. It misses whole areas of standard C++ and whilst
careful planning allows surprisingly portable code between old and
new, it's not for the new.

Instead take the advice to read "thinking in C++", which i rate very
highly, or peruse your local library for a C++ book that accounts for
the C++ standard language (standardised in 1998 IIRC).

Roshan

Would recommend "Accelerated C++" by Andrew Koenig for beginners.
A nice and slim book. Uses a very novel approach.
-Roshan

Bradley Bungmunch

[...]

Your best bet is any book by Herb Schildt. His ability to disseminate
information to the novice is unique.

=====================

Pussie sHaveMo
reFunMeow MeowMeowPus
siesHaveMore FunMeowMeowMeo
wPussiesHaveMo reFunMeowMeowMeo
wPussiesHaveMor eFunMeowMeowMeowP
ussiesHaveMoreFu nMeowMeowMeowPussi
esHaveMoreFunMeo wMeowMeowPussiesHav
eMoreFunMeowMeowM eowPussiesHaveMor
eFunMeowMeowMeowP ussiesHaveMoreFunM
eowMeowMeowPussie sHaveMoreFunMeowMe owMeowPus
siesHaveM oreFunMeowMeowMe owPussiesHaveMore FunMeowMeowMe
owPussiesHave MoreFunMeowMeowM eowPussiesHaveM oreFunMeowMeowM
eowPussiesHaveM oreFunMeowMeow MeowPussiesHa veMoreFunMeowMeow
[...]

Aguilar, James

Bradley Bungmunch said:

You need to look at the FAQ and check out the rule about signatures being
less than or equal to four lines in length, cause yours is significantly
longer.

Karl Heinz Buchegger

Bradley said:
Your best bet is any book by Herb Schildt. His ability to disseminate
information to the novice is unique.

But you should also be aware, that Schildt's books are full of errors.
So after having worked through one of them buy a second book by a
different author and make it a sport to find all technical inaccuracies
in Schildt's books.

Christopher Benson-Manica

Karl Heinz Buchegger said:
But you should also be aware, that Schildt's books are full of errors.
So after having worked through one of them buy a second book by a
different author and make it a sport to find all technical inaccuracies
in Schildt's books.

You, in turn, should be aware that the post to which you replied was
posted by someone who trolled comp.lang.c for some time. Apparently
the poster is a denizen of alt.fan.karl-malden.nose or some other
grimy alt.* hole; in any case I would suggest plonking it or at least
not responding to its trolling.