Here's one possible solution for slow rollovers in IE

Norman Swartz

Rollovers on a web page I created were instantaneous on my computer when
the page was loaded directly from my hard drive, but were painfully slow
when loaded from the web. However, on another computer the rollovers were
speedy when connected to the web. Eventually I found that one of the
settings in IE accounted for the difference. In the menu Tools/Internet
Options/General/Settings change from "Every visit to the page" to
"Automatically".

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Norman said:
Rollovers on a web page I created were instantaneous on my computer when
the page was loaded directly from my hard drive, but were painfully slow
when loaded from the web. However, on another computer the rollovers were
speedy when connected to the web. Eventually I found that one of the
settings in IE accounted for the difference. In the menu Tools/Internet
Options/General/Settings change from "Every visit to the page" to
"Automatically".

That's not a solution at all, since

a) there are people who don't use IE (like me) and so don't care
about those settings;

b) there are people who don't change your configuration for your
script-kiddie games;

c) there are people who (have to) use a UA that does not support
changing the document dynamically, i.e. one that does not
provide the required DOM;

d) there are people who (have to) use a UA with support for
client-side scripting disabled or restricted;

e) there are people who (have to) use a UA that does not have
support for client-side scripting at all.

Have I forgotten something?

PointedEars

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Norman said:
Rollovers on a web page I created were instantaneous on my computer when
the page was loaded directly from my hard drive, but were painfully slow
when loaded from the web. However, on another computer the rollovers were
speedy when connected to the web. Eventually I found that one of the
settings in IE accounted for the difference. In the menu Tools/Internet
Options/General/Settings change from "Every visit to the page" to
"Automatically".

That's not a solution at all, since

a) there are people who don't use IE (like me) and so don't care
about those settings;

b) there are people who don't change their configuration for your
script-kiddie games;

c) there are people who (have to) use a UA that does not support
changing the document dynamically, i.e. one that does not
provide the required DOM;

d) there are people who (have to) use a UA with support for
client-side scripting disabled or restricted;

e) there are people who (have to) use a UA that does not have
support for client-side scripting at all.

Have I forgotten something?

PointedEars

Randy Webb

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

Have I forgotten something?

Yes, you forgot two things:

1) To fix your newsreader so it doesn't double-post.
2) The thread was about slow rollovers in *IE*. Based on a rollover
being present, then its safe to assume that scripting is enabled. IE
doesn't handle CSS rollovers yet (if it ever does). Since its an IE-only
solution, you can discount all your babbling about "other UA's".

Your move.

--
Randy
Question: Why?