How to break a large web project in parts

Rolf Welskes

Hello,

I have a large web which has PartA, PartB, PartC and MainPart.

MainPart WebPage01 ... WebPage_n
PartA ....
PartB WebPageB01 ... WebPageB_m
PartC ...

So I would like to do the following:
(I work with VS2005, WebProjects, not Visual Designer).

I have one WebProject: ManPart_Prj
and 3 WebProjects
PartA_WebPrj, PartB_WebPrj, PartC_WebPrj.

Each of this project generates its own DLL.

So, If I make changes in aspx-files or in cs-files, for example in
PartB_WebPrj, I only have to distribute PartB_WebPrj.DLL and the aspx-files.
All other is not touched.

This is possible to do by making 4 WebProjects, and PartA_WebPrj,
PartB_WebPrj , PartC_WebPrj are SubWebs of the MainPart-Web.
This I know works. I can call the pages form each part to each part by, for
example links.

BUT !!!
When I am on a page in MainPart_Prj and click on a link to a page for
example in PartB_Prj, PartB_Prj is an own web, this means,
I loose the session-id I have in MainPart and in PartB I have a new one, no
data access between parts is so possible.

So question: Is it possible to have such 4 WebProjects, which are 4
WebProjects for VS, means, each has its own DLL etc.,
but for IIS and for the client-site this is ONE Web with a session-id over
all parts ?

If this is not possible it would be very important to have such a feature in
the future of VS because if you have one WebPrj with one DLL
for a large web allways if you make changes in a part you have to distribute
the DLL which is allways a risk for the full web and costs
many test work to be sure all works properly.

Clearly, there are tricks, you can for example do all or many controls and
cs-code in own dlls, but nevertheless,
to have the web realy separated in parts, each part its own dll would be
great.

If there is any possibility to do it, thank you for any help.
Rolf Welskes

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Rolf,

As for the "break a large web project into parts", do you mean you will
develop a single large web project as multiple divided web projects at
development time and will combine them together at deployment time?

If this is the case, I'm afraid it is hard to support statemanagment across
multiple web applications/projects. This is because those application
states such as Session/Application is specific to a single web
application/project. This is the same as web applications hosted in IIS
server, different appilcations(in different applicaiton virtual directory
--- event parent/child ) will not share those application specific states.

As for your further comments
===============
If this is not possible it would be very important to have such a feature
in
the future of VS because if you have one WebPrj with one DLL
for a large web allways if you make changes in a part you have to
distribute
the DLL which is allways a risk for the full web and costs
many test work to be sure all works properly.
===============

I think this is reasonable suggestion since it is important to make the
partition of web application more convenient so that we can manage and
maintain an ASP.NET application under smaller granularity.

Actually the ASP.NET product team is continue making progress on this
according to the community's feedback. Those add-on projects like "Web
Deployment Project" and "Web appliation Projects" are the two examples:

#VS 2005 Web Deployment Projects
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/11/06/429723.aspx

#VS 2005 Web Application Project V1.0 Released
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/05/08/445742.aspx

Therefore, it is really important and recommended that you submit such
requests so as to make our product team informed of these.

#Visual Studio and .NET Framework Feedback
http://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/default.aspx?SiteID=210

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead