How to give access by group from cmd line?

Juan Dent

Hi,

I have a web project that I started building below My Documents\Visual
Studio folder. When trying to place it in IIS 5.1 (I am running XPSP2) I get
an error:

-----------------
Failed to execute the request because the ASP.NET process identity does not
have read permissions to the global assembly cache. Error: 0x80070005 Access
is denied.
-----------------

I believed all I needed to do was to move the content outside of my
restricted My Documents tree, then this will disappear. So I moved it to
C:\JD Learning\... but the problem remains.

I tried using AccessEnums.exe (from sysinternals) and I found that my moved
folders don grant read nor write access to "Users" in general -- and thus not
to ASPNET account.

So I tried using cacls like so:

CACLS "JD Learning" /E /T /G ASPNET:R

and now it is possible to see the web site.

My question is how can I give this permission from the cmd line to a whole
group of users - not only user by user?

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Juan,

Regarding the question about using "CACLS" to grant access to a group
instead of a user, actually you can use a group name where a user name can
be used, for example:

CACLS "JD Learning" /E /T /G Users:R

Please feel free to let me know if you need anything else.

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Juan,

I hope I didn't misunderstand your question in my last reply. Would you
please let me know the status of this post? Thanks.