    A simple map, with zooming and dragging, but without the additional
    map-locating code or search features.

    Any suggestions ?

    wim, Apr 19, 2005

  2. wim

    wim Guest

    Thanks, but since the whole thing needs to look fancy and needs to be
    as interactive as possible, I really has to be draggable and zoomable.

    wim, Apr 20, 2005

  3. Look to SVG! Can be as fancy as you want with
    ecmascript... but be prepared to spend time on it
    ;-)

    Dominic Myers, Apr 20, 2005
  4. wim

    wim Guest

    Hasn't anyone else ever built anything like this ? Was Google really
    first in doing this ?

    wim, Apr 20, 2005
  5. wim

    Paul Cooper Guest

    By no means. Web Mapping is a mature and active topic in Geographic
    Information Systems, and there are very active standards bodies out
    there - Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) on the industry side and ISO
    TC211 on the formal standards side. There are quite a few similar
    services to Google maps out there - look at www.multimap.co.uk, for
    one, where advertizing is linked to a map. This is in principle little
    different to Google maps, and it has ben around for years! I am
    currently working on implementing a web Map Server and Web Feature
    Server for Antarctica, using stable, well established open-source
    toolkits to do so (Geoserver and PostGIS for those interested).

    Google's new slant is to link mapping to their query engines.

    However, this has little or nothing to do with Javascript - the volume
    of data required to make anything work means that almost all the
    intelligence is in the back-end on the server. I will be doing a
    little Javascript development to portray map data over the next month
    or so, but this is simply to allow a simple user interface to
    construct complex URLs that are submitted to a server.

    SVG is, of course, a popular portrayal mechanism for map data, but map
    data are more complex "under the hood" and SVG is not suitable for the
    back-end storage and manipulation of map data.

    Paul

    Paul Cooper, Apr 20, 2005
  6. wim

    wim Guest

    Well, I'm not really looking for a full mapping solution. The thing I'm
    looking for is how to :
    - display the images the way Google did (where you don't see it's
    separate images and right-clicking them results in nothing happening)
    - make the images draggable (don't care about replacing the image
    titles with others, because my map won't be big...)
    - put the zoom buttons on top of the image

    Any help on those things would be very helpful, as Google's source code
    is very big and not exactly clear, even with some comments I found
    online.

    Kind regards,

    Wim

    wim, Apr 21, 2005
  7. wim

    Paul Cooper Guest

    But Google probably use the kind of solutions I mentioned on the
    server in order to provide the functionality you see. Seriously, this
    isn't a client-side problem, as it requires the manipulation of
    potentially very large databases. Yes, you have a limited problem, but
    the problem you pose is in general not limited. FMTools (which
    contains an implementation of Mapserver) might help you - it provides
    image serving as well as serving vector data.

    Pul Cooper

    Paul Cooper, Apr 22, 2005
  8. wim

    wim Guest

    As I said, I don't care about the backend. I can build things like that
    without any problems. My problem is building the frontend. I have no
    idea how to get a draggable image with zoom buttons on top of it. And
    there seems to be no website explaining how to do something like that.

    I can't find anything called FMTools except an FM radio system.
    Any idea where I can find it ?

    wim, Apr 26, 2005
  9. wim

    Paul Cooper Guest

    I beg your pardon - it is FWTools, and can be found at
    http://fwtools.maptools.org/

    Paul

    Paul Cooper, Apr 26, 2005
  10. wim

    wim Guest

    Great stuff. Too bad it doesn't have any code for dragging the map like
    Google Maps :(

    wim, Apr 28, 2005