IIs Resets continiously

Maarten

Hi all,

I really hope someone can help.

Im having a problem that IIS constantly is restarting (and after 5
restarts ofcourse quits).
We have tracked all possible causes but failed to achieve any results.

About the configuration:
Win 2000 server
IIS 6.0
Not using any unusual DLL's/components

At first the site was going ok and no crashing. Then it started. And
at the end it crashed like 10 times a day. We have been through the
asp-code thoroughly but didnt find anything unusual. We put the site
away for users to reach and tested on a simple asp-script that
retrieves one record. Even then it crahed after doing it in a loop.
(yes, we close all connections etc.)

The message clients receive is:
"The server has reached the maximum recovery limit for the application
during the processing of your request"

Anyone had any clue what may cause this situation?

Jason Brown [MSFT]

Debugging these problems isn't necessarily easy, but it's certainly doable.

the first thing you can do (if you are in fact under IIS 6.0) is to attempt
to narrow down the misbehaving application by establishing new application
pools and gradually separating out elements until you have one that crashes
reasonably consistently. sometimes you can narrow it right down to the
misbehaving element. Other times, you'll need to download the IIS Debugging
tools and analyze the crash dumps. This is the bit that isn't easy and you
may need to contact MS Product support to open a case for debugging. We can
generally track down the issue from the crash dumps generated by the IIS
Crash/Hang Agent and IISDump

your reference to the 5 crashes then disabling makes me think you're on IIS
6.0/WIndows 2003, not Windows 2000 as you've stated here. can you confirm
that?

--
Jason Brown
Microsoft GTSC, IIS

rights.

Jason Brown [MSFT]

well, in that case my previous advice applies - that's your first step -
break up your appllication into parts and try to isolate the crashing
section.

--
Jason Brown
Microsoft GTSC, IIS