Is there a market for python developers?

Mabon Dane

I am new to python and took my first attempts at working with this
language today. Is there a market for people who work with Python?

Mabon Dane

Peter Hansen

Mabon said:
I am new to python and took my first attempts at working with this
language today. Is there a market for people who work with Python?

Yes.

beliavsky

Mabon said:
I am new to python and took my first attempts at working with this
language today. Is there a market for people who work with Python?

You can Google this newsgroup for "(e-mail address removed) jobs" to find two
messages I posted with statistics.

Paul Rubin

Mabon Dane said:
I am new to python and took my first attempts at working with this
language today. Is there a market for people who work with Python?

Well, there's two ways to look at that question:

1) Are there many companies with with openings like "we want to hire a
Python programmer"? The answer is yes, not a huge number, but there
aren't a huge number of Python programmers either.

2) Can using Python make you more marketable as a programmer?
Certainly it can. You can often get things done faster in Python than
in other languages, and getting things done always helps your
marketability. Lots of times the customer just needs to get some task
completed, and they don't care whether you use Python or some other
language. And using Python can result in such a big productivity gain
as to really help you score points with your employer or customer.

Python is not a magic bullet and it certainly shouldn't be the only
language you know. However, wielded skillfully, it can be a very
powerful tool.

Harald Massa

I am new to python and took my first attempts at working with this
language today. Is there a market for people who work with Python?

Absolutely no. Only unimportant and unknown companies like Google, Nokia,
Industrial Light and Magic as well as GHUM Harald Massa do work with
Python.

Harald

David Fraser

Mabon said:
I am new to python and took my first attempts at working with this
language today. Is there a market for people who work with Python?

Slavery is outlawed in most parts of the world these days :)

Nick Coghlan

Paul said:
2) Can using Python make you more marketable as a programmer?
Certainly it can. You can often get things done faster in Python than
in other languages, and getting things done always helps your
marketability. Lots of times the customer just needs to get some task
completed, and they don't care whether you use Python or some other
language. And using Python can result in such a big productivity gain
as to really help you score points with your employer or customer.

Hear, hear! I'm primarily working as a hardware interface engineer, yet a lot of
the code I write at the moment is in Python. . .

Why?

Because I can write powerful test apps *really* quickly, and nobody really cares
what language they're written in (the important thing is whether or not the
hardware is doing the right thing, and Python makes it possible to automate both
the execution of the tests and the post-analysis of the generated data).

Cheers,
Nick.