Is there a way to know if a user is browsing my site?

andrea

I should make a page that modify the web.config file, appsettings area. For
what I know, every modify to config file mean a reboot of the context application,
so if a user is browsing on a web site, it mean losting session and everything
.... and in a shopping cart scenario it's not exactly the best solution to
implement.

So before let admin user changes some parameters, I want to be sure nobody
is using the web site.
Is it possible?

Thank you
Andrea

slagomite

If you set the "mode" attribute of the "sessionState" setting in
web.config to "StateServer", users' sessions will not be stored in the
application's in-memory process, but rather in a separate service
running on the server. This way, recompiling or restarting your web
app will not wipe out session information.

(You will also have to start the "ASP.NET State Service" on your
server: Start > Administrative Tools > Services; right-click the
service > Properties; click Start, and change Startup Type to
Automatic.)

HTH
Luke

andrea

Is the services started automatically on a windows 2003 or it depends by
the administrator?
Does it provide some loss of performance or something for which hosting scenario
could be compromised and for this hosting manager doesn't allow it?

Isn't there another solution?

Ciao
Andrea