It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond applicat

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

which element are you trying to add to the sub folder - <authorization> ??
that works

Is your base folder configured as an application??

wajmuller

I have an application with some subfolders that i am trying to protect.
When i configure the web.config to secure that folder, i get the
dreaded, "It is an error to use a section registered as
allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This
error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an
application in IIS."

On my testing server it works fine, on the live server it doesnt. I
cannot make the subdirectory an application. On the live server i dont
have acess to iis. And besides not having acess making the folder an
application kinda defeats the purpose of having forms authentication in
the first place. What's the point of having forms authentication when
you cannot secure sub folders.

Any help?

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

That looks correct.

Is you application root folder configured as an application in IIS?

whats the complete errror message?

wajmuller

Yes, i am trying to get a subfolder rpotected by adding:
<location path="crm">
<system.web>
<authorization>
<deny users="?"/>
</authorization>
</system.web>
</location>

The actual folder crm is not configured as an application. If i
configure it as an application visual studio throughs it out. What is
the correct procedure to do so? And if i configure it as an applicatio
how would i include it in the project?

wajmuller

Yes it is, error is as follow:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Configuration Error
file required to service this request. Please review the specific error
details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This
error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an
application in IIS.

Source Error:

Line 34: <location path="crm">
Line 35: <system.web>
Line 36: <authorization>
Line 37: <deny users="?"/>
Line 38: </authorization>

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

This all looks correct to me. I assume you are not nesting the location element
inside system.web?!
It is NOT required to make the sub dir an IIS application.

If you say it is working on one server and not on another - there seems to
be a different problem.