It is an error to use a section...

Rbrt

I have a web site I developed on development workstation using ASP.NET 2.0.

Published it to my Win 2003 Server. This Server has been a lot of trouble -
just recently de-installed and re-installed iis and asp.net 2.0. Still
getting w3wp.exe memory errors.

I have enabled asp.net 2.0, created an application for it, etc., etc., but
still get a web.config error when I try to access it....

It is an error to use a section registered as
allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level

It then lists my forms authentication section....

Line 89: -->
Line 90: <authentication mode="Forms">
Line 91: <forms loginUrl="Default.aspx" name=".ASPXFORMSAUTH">
Line 92: </forms>

Anybody have any ideas?

Juan T. Llibre

You haven't defined the directory, where the web.config file is located,
as either an application or as a virtual directory.

re:
!> created an application for it

Are you sure ?
That's the *only* possible reason for that error message.

Rbrt

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond, Juan.

It is listed in the web sites when I open the IIS 6.0 console. If I
right-click and select properties, then look at the Home Directory tab, the
directory is that in which my application resdies and there is an applicatio
defined for it. I have also put it in its own application pool. Is that waht
you mean?

Robert