Java open source projects?

rhino_redux

Can anyone suggest a good place to look for Java open source projects
that need help?

I'm especially interested in working on projects that involve Java
skills that are in high demand among employers so that I can get some
real world experience with this skills. Now, in some cases, I won't
have those skills at the beginning but I plan to make substantial
efforts to learn them.

Or is that unrealistic? Let's say that I wanted to learn to use Struts,
for example, via work on an open source project. Would I be expected to
have already mastered Struts before my application to help on that
project would be accepted? I can imagine that an open source project
still wants to get its code built as quickly as it can and would not
want to wait days or weeks while I mastered something that they needed.

rhullock

Inquire of Openladders Gaming Zone,
(e-mail address removed)
Mixed Opensource and Commericialization

Andrew T.

http://sourceforge.net/

I'm especially interested in working on projects that involve Java
skills that are in high demand among employers so that I can get some
real world experience with this skills. Now, in some cases, I won't
have those skills at the beginning but I plan to make substantial
efforts to learn them.

I suspect you should be welcome on any number of projects.
Or is that unrealistic? Let's say that I wanted to learn to use Struts,
for example, via work on an open source project.

There seems to be a few projects about..
http://sourceforge.net/search/?words=java+struts

HTH

Andrew T.

Jochen Schulz

* (e-mail address removed):
[...] I can imagine that an open source project still wants to get its
code built as quickly as it can and would not want to wait days or
weeks while I mastered something that they needed.

How your efforts are appreciated depends highly on the project and the
people involved. I think the usual way to get into a project (if not by
starting it) is to read the mailing lists and just start contributing by
providing patches via the bug tracking system or the mailing list. If
the project owners think your input is valuable, you will get commit
access to the source code repository.

Whether this will help you to get an interesting job is something I
would like to know, too.

J.

Tomek

Hi
(e-mail address removed) napisal(a):
Can anyone suggest a good place to look for Java open source projects
that need help?
Personaly, i can advice a Codehaus : http://codehaus.org/. A lot of
really great people to learn from.
I'm especially interested in working on projects that involve Java
skills that are in high demand among employers so that I can get some
real world experience with this skills. Now, in some cases, I won't
have those skills at the beginning but I plan to make substantial
efforts to learn them.

Probably learning technology connected with SOA can give you good
benefits.
Or is that unrealistic? Let's say that I wanted to learn to use Struts,
for example, via work on an open source project. Would I be expected to
have already mastered Struts before my application to help on that
project would be accepted? I can imagine that an open source project
still wants to get its code built as quickly as it can and would not
want to wait days or weeks while I mastered something that they needed.

No, you don't have to have all skills, just talk to project leader. I'm
sure he/she will give you some small task with no high priority, to
start learning from.

Mark Space

Can anyone suggest a good place to look for Java open source projects
that need help?

I don't know of any specific open source projects. Since you are
interested in Struts, you might try the Apache home page and check out
Jakarta, Tomcat, and Struts and related projects. Even starting by
writing a tutorial or some documentation on those projects would be good
for a resume, I think. You might also check out Sun, maybe there are
some projects on the JVM and Java itself. That would be interesting.
There is also the IDE Netbeans.org, and I think Open Office is written
in Java (but I'm not sure).

I did a Google search on "Java open source" and got these hits:

http://java-source.net/

http://www.onjava.com/pub/q/java_os_directory

http://www.jgraph.com/

http://www.enhydra.org/