javascript collections

Eric Bednarz

[Thunderbird]
Anyhow, I find it pretty useless as a news reader and there aren't any
others worth using on Mac OS. Perhaps I'll switch to a Windows-based
agent.

Gnus runs – unsurprisingly – fine on OS X, and I cannot think of any
news agent that comes even remotely close to its features (if you don’t
like running Emacs in Terminal.app, and especially if you are more
familiar with OS X than Emacs, have a look at Aquamacs).

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <[email protected]
september.org>, Tue, 6 Jul 2010 16:48:22, Garrett Smith
Enough people have asked about posting through newsreaders, so it is
worth mentioning in the FAQ. Newsreaders, news servers and their
benefits can be mentioned in a new entry:

"1.3 How can I post to comp.lang.javascript"

It is best to post through a newsreader, such as Thunderbird.

Many of the intended readership will not be adequately guided by that
"such as" - add something like "rather than through a Web interface such
as Google or XXX". Note : browsers such as Opera seem to offer
news/mail interfaces. I don't know what they are like, so I just say
that it would be well to indicate whether, on the whole, they count as
good or bad.

Refer also to <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_server>,
<http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Usenet/Public_News_Servers/>. Note that
sometimes news-server refers to software (such as Diablo) and sometimes
to a service provider (such as AIOE).

Advantages of newsreaders that are not available in web interfaces
include folders for drafts and sent messages, options for filtering
spam, formatting, and more.

Refer also to <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Usenet_newsreaders>,
To access c.l.js through a newsreader you need a news server account.
The following news servers are all free: ^ , among others,
http://www.eternal-september.org
http://www.aioe.org/
http://news.solani.org/
http://albasani.net/index.html.en
It might also be a good idea to mention a few problems with Google
Groups, though perhaps that might best be added to:
<http://jibbering.com/faq/notes/posting/>

The Notes are not posted here for review, and should not be considered
as being part of the collective FAQ.

The FAQ proper should include, not just link to, the content of
<http://www.jibbering.com/faq/notes/>.

Garrett Smith

In comp.lang.javascript message<[email protected]
september.org>, Tue, 6 Jul 2010 16:48:22, Garrett Smith
<[email protected]> posted:
[...]

The Notes are not posted here for review, and should not be considered
as being part of the collective FAQ.

The FAQ proper should include, not just link to, the content of
<http://www.jibbering.com/faq/notes/>.
I agree that including notes in daily postings is a good idea. I do not
agree that they should be inline in the HTML version of the FAQ.

The process for formatting the notes entails using an HTML parser and
formatting the result as text.

The difficulty with including the notes pages is that they are in HTML
and the problem with that is that it requires completely different
parsing than the FAQ. Instead, I am going to post up for review on the
notes in separate threads, one for each.

Garrett Smith

In comp.lang.javascript message<[email protected]
september.org>, Tue, 6 Jul 2010 16:48:22, Garrett Smith

Many of the intended readership will not be adequately guided by that
"such as" - add something like "rather than through a Web interface such
as Google or XXX". Note : browsers such as Opera seem to offer
news/mail interfaces. I don't know what they are like, so I just say
that it would be well to indicate whether, on the whole, they count as
good or bad.

I did not know about Opera's newsreader features. I can't seem to get it
to work and I want to get it to work. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong
but I don't have time now.

I've amended the text based on suggestions but kept web as LC. Please
review the following and advise on corrections and suggestions.

Proposed:

1.3 How can I post to comp.lang.javascript

It is best to post through a newsreader[1][2], such as Thunderbird[3],
rather than a web interface, such as Google Groups.

Advantages of newsreaders that are not available in web interfaces
include folders for drafts and sent messages, options for filtering
unwanted messages, formatting.

To access c.l.js through a newsreader you need a news server[3] account.
The following news servers, among others[3] are all free:
http://www.eternal-september.org
http://www.aioe.org/
http://news.solani.org/
http://albasani.net/index.html.en

[1]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Usenet_newsreaders>,
[2]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Usenet_newsreaders>
[3]<http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/>
[4]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_server>

[...]

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <[email protected]
september.org>, Tue, 13 Jul 2010 16:38:05, Garrett Smith
On 2010-07-08 11:21 AM, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
I agree that including notes in daily postings is a good idea. I do not
agree that they should be inline in the HTML version of the FAQ.

My "the content of <http://www.jibbering.com/faq/notes/>" above means
the content of that page. It does not mean any more than that; it does
not mean the whole set of notes.

It comprises a mere 19 lines as displayed; ignoring head, tail, comment,
and blank lines, just 52 lines of loosely-formatted source; 1637
characters, or 1165 without leading spaces. That's not a lot.

Garrett Smith

In comp.lang.javascript message<[email protected]
september.org>, Tue, 13 Jul 2010 16:38:05, Garrett Smith

My "the content of<http://www.jibbering.com/faq/notes/>" above means
the content of that page. It does not mean any more than that; it does
not mean the whole set of notes.

Got it.
It comprises a mere 19 lines as displayed; ignoring head, tail, comment,
and blank lines, just 52 lines of loosely-formatted source; 1637
characters, or 1165 without leading spaces. That's not a lot.
Each one of those notes articles is linked from a relevant FAQ Entry.