JPEG patent threat

Terry Blunt

/me wonders if he has any relevant scraps of schoolbooks from the
1970s.

I seem to recall the basics were discussed in an early BBC Micro user
82-83? That's not just prior art, it publication as well.

Nick Maclaren

|> > So Postscript users in 1989 were aware of it... :))
|>
|> Err I claim prior art.

Join the queue. It's a long one :)

|> From 1978 to 1981 I worked on computational biology (what now gets
|> called bioinformatics). There's a hell of a lot of similarity in
|> sequences of DNA so to cope with storage capacity of the PET, Sirius,
|> Apple IIe and even the Cyber that I was using it was necessary to pack
|> the data into as small a place as possible. So I used RLE only at the
|> time I didn't call it RLE becuase I hadn't seen any name recorded for
|> what I was doing.
|>
|> I thought it was a neat trick, I didn't think it was patentable. In fact
|> it probably wasn't in the UK.

It wasn't. It shouldn't have been in the USA. Someone tried it
on and got away with it but, as far as I know, it was too obviously
bogus for even the extortionists to want to use it.

As I said, I could prove that it was use in the 1960s. For example,
it was used in SPSS and in the values specifiable in a DATA statement
in Fortran II (I can't speak for original Fortran, as I never used
it). Other people could go back further.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Qercus editor

Luckily the relevant versions of DrawWorks were just called
'Millennium' not 'Bi-Millennium', otherwise we'd be in trouble ;-)

You could have just mis-spelled Millennium like everyone else... ;-)

Tim Haynes

David Holden said:
Don't open the GIF can of worms again, please :-(

So how do you pronounce it, like `gift' without a `t', or what used to be
cleaning fluid stuff, then? ;)

~Tim

Nick Kew

So how do you pronounce it, like `gift' without a `t', or what used to be
cleaning fluid stuff, then? ;)

Basisically like the kind of gi... er person who makes such bad jokes.

John Williams (News)

Tim Haynes said:
So how do you pronounce it, like `gift' without a `t', or what used to be
cleaning fluid stuff, then? ;)

I remember reading that the originator(s) used the soft 'g' despite it
standing for 'graphical' - so it's 'what used to be cleaning fluid stuff'.

A google on 'how to say gif' reveals differences of opinion, though:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=how+to+say+GIF

but my assertion is supported in some of them, eg:

http://www.xent.com/FoRK-archive/july97/0045.html

John

Neal

So how do you pronounce it, like `gift' without a `t', or what used to be
cleaning fluid stuff, then? ;)

I pronounce it "gee-eye-eff", and no one gives me any crap about it.

Richard Kettlewell

Toby A Inkster said:
C A Upsdell wrote:

That's more like LZW than RLE.

I don't think it's very much like either. In both cases you need an
instance of the repeated thing to appear somewhere before you can say
it's repeated (in RLE, with a count; in LZW, with a reference and an
additional symbol).

C A Upsdell

Richard Kettlewell said:
I don't think it's very much like either. In both cases you need an
instance of the repeated thing to appear somewhere before you can say
it's repeated (in RLE, with a count; in LZW, with a reference and an
additional symbol).

An X is two I's crossed, so I is repeated, with an implied count of 10.
Indeed, all the roman numerals contain I's at angles to each other, each
with an implied count:

I V X L < I> /\/\ ;-)

Robert Newson

C said:
An X is two I's crossed, so I is repeated, with an implied count of 10.
Indeed, all the roman numerals contain I's at angles to each other, each
with an implied count:

I V X L < I> /\/\ ;-)

And don't forget the extra flat I: -