Looking for research topic in Java for Graduate Level Computer Science Class.

Markis Landis Gardner

I am wanting to take a research class in Graduate School. My professor said
he would be willing to work with me, but I had to come up with the idea.

Since I know VERY little about Java, I was hoping some one out there in the
Java World might have an idea. I don't think I am breaking the rules about
asking for a topic...

It has to be a quality idea that can be done in a 16 week semester that is
appropriate for a graduate student. It does not need to be a master's
thesis - that will come later.

Remember, all I want is ideas!!

If you can help me please email me at (e-mail address removed) -
please take out the _no_spam_

My goal is to increase my research skills and my writing skills (I will have
to write a paper) so that when I try for my PhD (if I pass the prelims) I
won't have to struggle over that piece of it.

Thanks,

Markis

Mickey Segal

Markis Landis Gardner said:
I am wanting to take a research class in Graduate School. My professor said
he would be willing to work with me, but I had to come up with the idea.

How about a simulation of snowflake growth that allows the user to specify
the variation of temperature and humidity as the flake falls? Prof. Kenneth
Libbrecht at Caltech has come up with a model of snowflake growth under
various conditions:
and in the article about it in the New York Times (23 Dec 03) there was no
mention of a computer program to put it all together. It would make a
great applet for teaching about snowflakes.

Matt Humphrey

Roedy Green has some here: http://mindprod.com/projects.html
If you can help me please email me at (e-mail address removed) -
please take out the _no_spam_

But we all use newsgroups so that others may share the wisdom.
My goal is to increase my research skills and my writing skills (I will have
to write a paper) so that when I try for my PhD (if I pass the prelims) I
won't have to struggle over that piece of it.

Thanks,

Markis

Good luck,
Matt Humphrey (e-mail address removed) http://www.iviz.com/