Lots of Lock-ups in VS 2005

Charlie@CBFC

Hi:

I have a new Dell Computer with 1G RAM running VS2005 and SQL 2005. Seems
like VS 2005 is very slow and I get lots of IE lock-ups. I find myself
waiting a lot. Could it be McAfee? My productivity has gone down with VS
2005. Any one care to comment? Do I need more memory?

Thanks,
Charlie

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

McAfee certainly can interfere, as can certain explorer toolbars (I found
the Live toolbar (Microsoft) had a horrible effect on my system performance,
for example). I have 2 GB on my machine and still had issues.

More memory is almost always good, as it keeps you from paging (memory good;
paging bad), but I would pull down some tools (like the ones from
sysinternals.com) and see what is going on.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think outside of the box!

toner

Charlie

I have had similar problems, not only is VS2005 very slow but it
periodically locks up. Once a solution had locked up it was then not
possible to open it again without it immediately locking up. I
contacted MS and they said the lock ups were probably due to issues
with my virus protection software (Symantec) and disabling the virus
software did indeed cure the lock up. Once the solution has been opened
with virus software disabled I can then re-enable it and all will work
fine - until the next lock up. I feel your pain!