Moving To JDialog From JFrame: NetBeans Design View Has JFrameWithout A Variable Name

clusardi2k

If I can't obtain the name of a JFrame variable what can I do.

I created a form using NetBean's Design view. The JFrame doesn't appear to have a variable name associated with it. Can I obtain a variable name for it somehow.

If I copy the entire project to another file with the same name and delete the old file the project still runs. In the file, there is no explicit reference to a JFrame at all. But, the JFrame class is inherited in a number of places.

I need the name of the JFrame variable because I want to use it in a JDialog extended class using:

public class Test extends JDialog
{ ...
public Test(Frame parent)
{
super(parent, "Login", true);

The above "parent" was created using:

final JFrame frame = new JFrame("Testing");

I pass frame to Test:

Test tst = new Test(frame);

Thank you,

clusardi2k

When I put the folowing code into "InitComponents ()", it tells me "frame0".

System.out.println ("Variable name " + this.toString());

Eric Sosman

If I can't obtain the name of a JFrame variable what can I do.

Invent one?
I created a form using NetBean's Design view. The JFrame doesn't appear to have a variable name associated with it. Can I obtain a variable name for it somehow.

You created a *class* using NetBeans: Data fields, initializers,
methods -- and one or more constructors. When you want an instance
of that class, construct one with `new', just as you would with any
other class. And if you want to retain a reference to that instance,
store it in a variable with a name of your own choosing.
If I copy the entire project to another file with the same name and delete the old file the project still runs. In the file, there is no explicit reference to a JFrame at all. But, the JFrame class is inherited in a number of places.

Sorry; I can't figure out what you mean by "copy the entire project"
or by "the project still runs." Also, while it makes sense that your
class might extend JFrame, I don't understand how it can do so "in a
number of places."
I need the name of the JFrame variable because I want to use it in a JDialog extended class using:

public class Test extends JDialog
{ ...
public Test(Frame parent)
{
super(parent, "Login", true);

The above "parent" was created using:

final JFrame frame = new JFrame("Testing");

Problem solved: `frame' is the name of the variable that
refers to your JFrame. (Yet I can't escape the feeling that
something's been garbled: This new instance is a plain vanilla
JFrame, not a class of your own or your own "form" or whatever.)
I pass frame to Test:

Test tst = new Test(frame);

Looks fine. What's the problem?

FredK

When I put the folowing code into "InitComponents ()", it tells me "frame0". System.out.println ("Variable name " + this.toString());

The first frame you create will have the name "frame0", the next one "frame1", etc. You need to give your instance a name if you want something other than "frameN":

this.setName( "myName" );