Mozilla 1.5 can't create a window from onLoad event in <body> tag?

Starry Gordon

I've been running some small test programs which seem to indicate
something noticed in a larger script, that a function called from
onLoad() in the <body> tag will not succeed in creating a window
(i.e. successfully executing window.open() in Mozilla 1.5; however,
I've observed it to work a few times in IE 6.0 and Opera 5.something.
It does not seem to be a timing thing -- if I re-call the function
somewhat later using setTimeout it still doesn't succeed. However,
a call to the same function from a link (a href=...) does succeed.
I'm wondering if I've overlooked something in the documentation.

The shortest of the tests:
<head>
<title>x</title>
<script language="JavaScript1.2" type="text/javascript">
var k = 0;
var m = 'w1.<br>';
var w1;

function initz() {
k += 1;
if (w1) {
m += k + ": already here! ";
} else {
m += k + ": opening... ";
w1 = window.open(" ", "w1",
"toolbar=no,status=yes,height=400,width=400,menubar=yes,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,directories=no,location=no");
}

if (!w1) {
m += k + ": not here.... ";
} else {
m += k + ": here! ";
w1.document.write("m=" + m + "<br>");
</script>
</head>

onload='javascript:initz()'>
xxx</a>

which, when the link is clicked on, brings up a window with
the following text:

m=w1.
1: opening... 1: not here.... 2: opening... 2: here!

DU

Starry Gordon wrote:

[snipped]

a function called from
onLoad() in the <body> tag will not succeed in creating a window

[snipped]

Thank god I don't have to endure such poor webpage design anymore: I
block unrequested popups and so do millions of others using browsers (or
add-ons) suppressing such nonsense.

DU