ne1 have a script to prevent opposite mouse, preventing image theft? with message?

Richard

CB said:
ps...the client insists

Tell the client to slap the word "copyright" across the images.
Explain to the client that when a site is visited, the images are already
downloaded to the visitor's machine and there is nothing he can do to
prevent them from being "stolen".
You can disable the right click, but you can't disable the menu items which
allows me to save the entire page along with the photos.

However, to totally annoy the visitor, you can use "onrightclick" and have
an alert message box pop up instead.
Of course, this is javascript which can be turned off by the visitor.

Kim André Akerø

CB said:
thanks

ps...the client insists

CB

Not exactly a good thing there. Show me a page with such "protection", and I
can publish the page on my own server in less than 15 minutes, complete with
images and everything. I could even have the right-click script removed by
that time. Goes to show how "secure" this is.

As suggested by Richard in a seperate post, the only way to make sure your
client's images aren't stolen, is to slap a big sticker over the image with
your client's logo, either covering a corner of the image or watermarked
over the entire image.

Art Sackett

CB said:
thanks

ps...the client insists

First, it's customary to include the question within the body of the
article. Some of us backward folks can't easily view very long subject
lines.

Second: disabling right-clicks doesn't work if javascript is turned
off, or if the user has ever even passed through the shadow of a clue.
Consider:

wget http://www.yourhost.com/images/your_image.jpg

Or, for those who don't have wget (and why the hell not!?!?!?), there's
always the option to just enter the image URL into the browser location
bar, then "Save As". Or to save all of the images, "File -> Save Page
As" (or whatever the menu items are in a given browser).

Please, when clients are in need of education, give it to 'em. If you
don't, then one day the fools are going to see their hijacked images on
the web somewhere and blame you for it. Then they'll go looking for
another web deeziner, and piss a lot of people off with their
uninformed and unreasonable demands.

"I want it so that no one can download my images!"
"That's easy. Don't put them on the internet."
"Don't be glib; it's unprofessional."
"That's the only way to do the thing you ask."
"But I want them on my site. I just don't want them stolen."
"Get used to it. That's just how things really work."
"I'm going elsewhere. You're unprofessional!"
"Please do. Have a nice day."

Lather; rinse; repeat. By the time the message sinks in, your client
won't want to talk to you any more, because he's lost face. He'll end
up going elsewhere just to avoid the embarrassment. You'll be out some
future income, and some other poor dumb bastard will be forced to deal
with the still ignorant but slightly less so client.