Need help connecting via a remote VPN

The Coca Cola Kid

I need to connect to a site/server that's only accessible after logging into
a remote VPN, then scan a directory for a file pattern and then copy those
files. I know how to do the latter using glob, and I think I figured out
how to connect to the VPN using win32ras and got a response that said "302
Found" but I'm not sure what to do after that. Some people recommended
using SSH or fabric.api modules, but I couldn't find any examples that
applied to what I'm trying to do.

Dave Angel

I need to connect to a site/server that's only accessible after
logging into a remote VPN, then scan a directory for a file pattern
and then copy those files. I know how to do the latter using glob,
and I think I figured out how to connect to the VPN using win32ras and
got a response that said "302 Found" but I'm not sure what to do after
that. Some people recommended using SSH or fabric.api modules, but I
couldn't find any examples that applied to what I'm trying to do.

Starting a VPN simply makes it possible for IP packets to get to the
specified machine. You still need to match some protocol that the
particular remote machine can handle. SSH is probably the most common,
but there are lots of other possibilities, some standard and some
custom. So the question is what does the remote machine (server)
support for file access?

glob will work if the server supports mounting the remote partition as a
file system. But there are no guarantees that that's possible. You
haven't even said what the two operating systems involved are, though I
can guess that the local machine is some version of Windows.

The Coca Cola Kid

"Dave Angel" wrote in message
Starting a VPN simply makes it possible for IP packets to get to the
specified machine. You still need to match some protocol that the
particular remote machine can handle. SSH is probably the most common,
but there are lots of other possibilities, some standard and some
custom. So the question is what does the remote machine (server)
support for file access?

glob will work if the server supports mounting the remote partition as a
file system. But there are no guarantees that that's possible. You
haven't even said what the two operating systems involved are, though I
can guess that the local machine is some version of Windows.

The local machine is running Windows 7. I'm not sure what the other machine
is running on, but I assume it can handle ssh. If it helps, I usually
connect to it manually via an https web link, and then after entering my
user name and password in a Firepass session manager it runs an active-x
cache cleaner program and will then let me navigate to server B which is
behind the firewall.

Dave Angel

"Dave Angel" wrote in message

The local machine is running Windows 7. I'm not sure what the other
machine is running on, but I assume it can handle ssh. If it helps, I
usually connect to it manually via an https web link, and then after
entering my user name and password in a Firepass session manager it
runs an active-x cache cleaner program and will then let me navigate
to server B which is behind the firewall.

If the remote machine is Linux, running sshd, and if you have an account
there, then use scp to copy the file. And if you want to automate it,
run scp from within python, using the subprocess module. But make sure
it works manually before bothering to automate it.

To get ssh on Windows, one approach is to install cygwin.

If you want more control than subprocess, there are a whole bunch of 3rd
party ssh libraries for Python. Just google python ssh library to get
at least 6 on the first page.

Joined
Feb 24, 2022
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I need to connect to a site/server that's only accessible after logging into
a remote VPN, then scan a directory for a file pattern and then copy those
files. I know how to do the latter using glob, and I think I figured out
how to connect to the VPN using win32ras and got a response that said "302
Found" but I'm not sure what to do after that. Some people recommended
using SSH or fabric.api modules, but I couldn't find any examples that
applied to what I'm trying to do.
Hihi dont know if you still need help. I recommend you to use VPN Proxy Master since it is speedy and you may unblock the restrictions. It is definitely the best VPN i've ever used. It is easy to be connected and seldom get disconnected. You may try it.