need to be able to write in a shared mem segment.

nass

hi all,
i am running slackware linux and need to use some function that will
will enable me to write and read from a shared mem segment..
i am using open() , to open a file, and then use mmap to get a void*
file_memory pointer. then i use fwrite(aStruct,structSize,1,(((FILE*)
file_memory) + anOffset)) to try to write to the file but it crashes.

could it be that fwrite does not understand the file_memory pointer?
what else can i use to do the writing?
thankyou for your help
nass

loufoque

nass wrote :
hi all,
i am running slackware linux and need to use some function that will
will enable me to write and read from a shared mem segment..

You could use boost.interprocess (used to be boost.shmem)

Thomas J. Gritzan

nass said:
hi all,
i am running slackware linux and need to use some function that will
will enable me to write and read from a shared mem segment..

This is offtopic here, but...
i am using open() , to open a file, and then use mmap to get a void*
file_memory pointer. then i use fwrite(aStruct,structSize,1,(((FILE*)
file_memory) + anOffset)) to try to write to the file but it crashes.

The fourth parameter of fwrite must be a _unchanged_ FILE*, that you got by
calling fopen. You can't cast any pointer to a FILE* and write to that like
a file.

And you don't need to. You said that, mmap returns a memory pointer as
void*. So simply use it, just like you would use memory from a malloc() call.
could it be that fwrite does not understand the file_memory pointer?

exactly.

nass

Thomas said:
This is offtopic here, but...

The fourth parameter of fwrite must be a _unchanged_ FILE*, that you got by
calling fopen. You can't cast any pointer to a FILE* and write to that like
a file.

And you don't need to. You said that, mmap returns a memory pointer as
void*. So simply use it, just like you would use memory from a malloc() call.
nope i cant do that, the compiler gives me an error saying
error: invalid conversion from `void*' to `FILE*'
its gcc btw.. any other posibility?

nass

Larry I Smith

nass said:
nope i cant do that, the compiler gives me an error saying
error: invalid conversion from `void*' to `FILE*'
its gcc btw.. any other posibility?

mmap returns a pointer to the shared memory.
You do not use a 'FILE *' to write to that memory.
After the mmap you read/update it like any other memory
buffer.

You'll get better support in these newsgroups:

comp.os.linux.development.apps
comp.os.linux.development.system

Larry

nass

for some reason i can not 'open' these 2 sites u recommended from a
newsgroups reader..
anyhow, igues you are refering to doing buffer read-update with
sprintf()... i would like to use that function too but the problem is i
have a struct that i need to save in the buffer, and i do not now what
type to instruct the sprintf function to 'think' my struct is....
the struct is not always the same.. but it contains in8, uint8, int32,
floats, doubles and even strings.
how could i use sprintf in order to save this struct?
nass

Larry Smith

nass said:
for some reason i can not 'open' these 2 sites u recommended from a
newsgroups reader..
anyhow, igues you are refering to doing buffer read-update with
sprintf()... i would like to use that function too but the problem is i
have a struct that i need to save in the buffer, and i do not now what
type to instruct the sprintf function to 'think' my struct is....
the struct is not always the same.. but it contains in8, uint8, int32,
floats, doubles and even strings.
how could i use sprintf in order to save this struct?
nass

Please do not top post.

One more time...

FORGET ABOUT 'FILE *'.

Once a file is mapped into memory - it's just memory.

The sprintf() example was just an example of one (of many)
ways to access the memory.

If you want to put a 'struct stuff' in the mapped memory,
just do it:

struct stuff * pStuff;

/* assuming that 'pMem' is the pointer returned by
* mmap() -AND- that the mapped memory is large
* enough to hold a 'struct stuff', this next line
* allows your code to treat the memory at 'pMem'
* as a 'struct stuff' - via 'pStuff'.
* anything put into '*pStuff' will be visible to
* all processes that have the same memory mapped.
*/
pStuff = (struct stuff *) pMem;

/* now write and read the members of the
* 'struct stuff' that resides at the beginning
* of the mapped memory, eg:
*/
pStuff->some_int_field = 55;

This is NOT a C++ language issue so - Post to a
unix/linux newsgroup in the future.

READ THE DOCS ON THE MEMORY MAPPING FUNCTIONS.
It's all explained therein.

Larry