New member intro and question

Anthony Papillion

Hi Everyone,

<gush>
I'm a new list member from the United States. Long time programmer,
fairly new to Python and absolutely loving it so far! I'm 36, live in
Oklahoma, and own a small Linux software development and consulting
firm. Python has made my life a *lot* easier and, the more I learn,
the easier it gets. Simply blown away.
</gush>

Now, for my question: I'm taking on a project that will run on plug
computers and I'm thinking about using Python to do it. It seems like
a really attractive option over C/C++ and I think it would cut down
the dev time immensely. I know a scaled down version of Debian can run
on the computer but I'm wondering about Python.

Has anyone ever used Python to develop for extremely limited resource
computers like this? Specifically, I'm going to be using the DreamPlug
(http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets/dreamplug-puts-a-1-2ghz-arm-pc-in-a-power-outlet-2011022/)
which isn't too shabby but I wonder if it will work.

Thanks!
Anthony Papillion

mm0fmf

Anthony said:
which isn't too shabby but I wonder if it will work.

Anything with a 1.2GHz CPU & 512Mb RAM is anything but "extremely
resource limited" ;-)

I find Python 2.7 runs admirably on a 266MHz PowerPC with only 128MB of
ram.