Newbie question: Any good resources on C++ programming?

Timberwolf

Hi everyone

I'm a newbie to the world of C++ programming.
I'm especially interested in C++ internet programming and
C++ database programming.

Can anyone recommend some good books or websites
about the topic?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Gary Hendricks
http://www.desktop-video-guide.com

Mike Wahler

Timberwolf said:
Hi everyone

I'm a newbie to the world of C++ programming.
I'm especially interested in C++ internet programming and
C++ database programming.

Can anyone recommend some good books or websites
about the topic?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Gary Hendricks

See my reply to this same message you posted to
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++.

And in the future, if you need to post the same message
to more than one group, crosspost it, don't post two
separate messages. Thank you.

-Mike

Victor Bazarov

Timberwolf said:
I'm a newbie to the world of C++ programming.
I'm especially interested in C++ internet programming and
C++ database programming.

Can anyone recommend some good books or websites
about the topic?

You should probably also ask in an internet newsgroup and
a database newsgroup. Just for the hell of it.

Victor

Charles Wilkins

Hi everyone

I'm a newbie to the world of C++ programming.
I'm especially interested in C++ internet programming and
C++ database programming.

IF you are new to C++, walk before you run. Don't worry about socket
libraries and such before you are comfortable with C++. Be competent
in C++, and using socket and database libraries will seem simple in
comparison.

Object 'oriented' programming adds complexity and manageability to
programming unlike C, and other structured or even object 'based'
languages.

Two good books to get started with C++.

Thinking in C++: Bruce Eckel
http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html

Accelerated C++: Koenig and Moo
http://www.acceleratedcpp.com

OF course you might want to consider this highly authoritative source
of information as well:

The C++ Programming Language: Stroustrup
http://www.research.att.com/~bs/3rd.html

All of these books not only teach C++ specific coding style, but also
encourage good form.

Good luck,
Charles

Tom

Timberwolf said:
I'm a newbie to the world of C++ programming.
I'm especially interested in C++ internet programming and
C++ database programming.

Can anyone recommend some good books or websites
about the topic?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Gary Hendricks
http://www.desktop-video-guide.com

Just FYI, this guy's a troll.... Well, maybe that's not the right word
exactly - more a spammer of sorts who wants you to visit his website.
He's sent this identical message to this newsgroup several times in
the past:

On March 28, 2003:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&newwindow=1&[email protected]

Again on May 29, 2003:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&newwindow=1&[email protected]

And then again on July 23, 2003:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&newwindow=1&[email protected]

He also posted this message to comp.lang.c++.moderated,
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++, no.it.programmering.c++, it.comp.lang.c++,
and fr.comp.lang.c++.

More to the point, he has posted substantially the same message in
numerous other newsgroups covering an amazing variety of topics. E.g.
(I'm not making this up):

Any good resources about Jews?
Hi everyone I'm doing some research on the Jews as a race. Can anyone
recommend some good books or websites about the topic? Thanks in
advance. Best Regards, Gary Hendricks http://www.desktop-video-guide
soc.culture.jewish - Mar 29, 2003 by Timberwolf

Any good resources on astronomy/astrology?
Hi everyone I'ma newbie to the world of astronomy/astrology. Can
anyone
recommend some good books or websites about the topic? Thanks in
advance. Best Regards, Gary Hendricks http://www.desktop-video-guide
uk.sci.astronomy - Mar 29, 2003 by Timberwolf

(the above was also posted to tw.bbs.sci.astrology, sci.astro,
es.charla.gastronomia, and sci.astro.amateur)

Any good websites on food and cuisine?
Hi everyone Can anyone recommend some good websites on food and
cuisine?
I'm especially interested in Asian and French food/wine. Thanks in
advance. Best Regards, Gary Hendricks http://www.desktop-video ...
tw.bbs.rec.foodstuff - Mar 29, 2003 by Timberwolf

(the above was also posted to uk.food+drink.misc, alt.food.wine,
and rec.food.cooking)

Where to get game cheat codes?
Hi everyone Can anyone recommend a good website for downloading game
cheat codes? Thanks in advance. Best Regards, Gary Hendricks
http://www.desktop-video-guide.com
Learn how to shoot, capture and edit your own digital videos!
rec.games.frp.dnd - Mar 29, 2003 by Timberwolf

(the above was also posted to alt.games.diablo,
alt.games.video.xbox,
and tw.bbs.rec.pcgame)

Any good books or websites on weightlifting?
Hi everyone I'ma newbie to the world of weightlifting Can anyone
recommend some good books or websites about the topic? Thanks in
advance. Best Regards, Gary Hendricks
http://www.desktop-video-guide.com
misc.fitness.weights - Mar 29, 2003 by Timberwolf

(the above was also posted on alt.sport.weightlifting)

Any good books or websites on Howard Stern?
Hi everyone Can anyone recommend some good books or websites about
Howard Stern? Thanks in advance. Best Regards, Gary Hendricks
http://www.desktop-video-guide.com
Learn how to shoot, capture and edit your own digital videos!
alt.fan.howard-stern - Mar 29, 2003 by Timberwolf

Newbie question: Any good resources on body building?
Hi everyone I'ma newbie to the world of body building. Can anyone
recommend some good books or websites about the topic? Thanks in
advance. Best Regards, Gary Hendricks
http://www.desktop-video-guide.com
uk.rec.bodybuilding - Mar 29, 2003

Does anyone know where to download MP3?
Hi everyone Now that Napster and Audiogalaxy Satellite are dead, does
anyone know of any web pages where I can download MP3s? I've tried the
P2P programs like KaZaa but do not like them as they install funny
stuff
on my PC. Thanks in advance. ...
alt.music.who - Mar 29, 2003 by Timberwolf

(the above was also posted on de.alt.music.metal,
it.arti.musica.classica, and rec.music.phish)

Newbie question: Any good resources on Java programming?
Hi everyone I'ma newbie to the world of Java programming. I'm
especially
interested in Java internet programming and Java database programming.
Can anyone recommend some good books or websites about the topic?
Thanks
in advance. ...
fr.comp.lang.javascript - Mar 28, 2003 by Timberwolf

(the above was also posted to comp.lang.java.gui,
comp.lang.javascript, and de.comp.lang.javascript)

Newbie question: Any good resources on Linux?
Hi everyone I'ma newbie to the world of Linux. I'm especially
interested
in the RedHat and Mandrake releases. Can anyone recommend some good
books or tutorial websites about these topics? Thanks in advance. ...
comp.os.linux.advocacy - Mar 28, 2003 by Timberwolf

(The above was also posted to tw.bbs.comp.linux)

Newbie question: Any good resources on Vegas Video 4.0?
Hi everyone I'ma newbie to Vegas Video 4.0 video editing software.
Heard
a lot about how good it is. Can anyone recommend some good books or
tutorial websites about Vegas 4.0? Thanks in advance. Best ...
uk.rec.video.digital - Mar 28, 2003 by Timberwolf

(The above was also posted to alt.video.vcr and
rec.video.production)

Any good resources on South Africa?
Hi everyone I'm travelling to South Africa for a holiday in two
months'
time. Can anyone recommend some good books or websites about South
Africa, especially around the Cape of Good Hope? Thanks in advance.
soc.culture.south-africa.afrikaans - Mar 28, 2003 by Timberwolf

(The above was also posted to soc.culture.african,
soc.culture.african.american and soc.culture.south-africa)

Newbie question: Any good resources on cars?
Hi everyone I'ma newbie in the world of car modifications. I'm
especially interested in the following car models: Nissan, Toyota,
Honda
and Lexus. Can anyone recommend some good books or websites about the
topic? Thanks in advance. ...
uk.rec.motorcaravans - Mar 28, 2003 by Timberwolf

(The above was also posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,
uk.rec.cars.modifications, and rec.autos.sport.nascar)

Newbie question: Any good resources on audio production?
Hi everyone I'ma newbie in the world of audio production. I'm
especially
interested in digital audio and sound engineering. Can anyone
recommend
some good books or websites about the topic? Thanks in advance. ...
rec.audio.tech - Mar 28, 2003 by Timberwolf

(The above was also posted to rec.audio.marketplace, rec.audio.car,
and rec.audio.tubes)

Someone in the "ne.food" newsgroup noticed this a few months ago:

http://groups.google.com/[email protected]

Best regards,

Tom

Victor Bazarov

Well, looky here! This was posted on July 23.

"Timberwolf" <[email protected]> wrote in message

And essentially the same message was posted on 29 May, with a different ad.
And on 27 April, with a different ad. And on 28 March, with a different ad.
And the same pattern exists from the two incarnations of this poster in
a variety of other news groups. I'm a newbie to Topic X, can you point
me to resources on Topic X, repeated about once a month. Hmmm.... Sure
looks like it *should* be over the limit for getting cancelled. Thoughts?
Socks

What would you cancel? His Singapore Internet account? Killfile
him and never be bothered again.