newbie to c++ programming

rahul8143

hello,
I am newbie in c++ and want to have good proggramer in it. I want
to ask some question
1)I downlaoded some .cpp files and found some have iostream.h while
some have only
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
whats difference between them?
2) former include works in turbo C++ compiler but later not works why??
3) which is most used good debugging facility provider compiler for
Windows and Linux to do c++ programming?
4) Also in world C++ programming mean its console based programming or
visual c++ programming?
5) which is mostly used way to do c++ programming on console(Dos based)
or on windows?
Thanks,
rahul

Phlip

rahul8143 said:
I am newbie in c++ and want to have good proggramer in it. I want
to ask some question

Two suggestions:

Prep all these questions with http://groups.google.com . Most of them get
asked quite frequently.

Buy a book on C++, made of paper, in a bookstore, the kind with coffee and
stuff. Then sit around and read it, for a long time, cover to cover if
possible, before proceding.

Alf P. Steinbach

* (e-mail address removed):
hello,
I am newbie in c++ and want to have good proggramer in it. I want
to ask some question

1)I downlaoded some .cpp files and found some have iostream.h while
some have only
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
whats difference between them?

<iostream> is a standard header.

2) former include works in turbo C++ compiler but later not works why??

Because it was a pre-standard convention.

3) which is most used good debugging facility provider compiler for
Windows and Linux to do c++ programming?

?

Anyway, debugging philosophy is different in Windows and Linux. In
Linux it's not unusual to inspect a core dump, a static picture of
the program's state when it crashed. In Windows dynamic debugging
is the norm, almost no-one examines core dumps (except Microsoft).

4) Also in world C++ programming mean its console based programming or
visual c++ programming?

That's not a meaningful distinction.

5) which is mostly used way to do c++ programming on console(Dos based)
or on windows?

Again, that's not a meaningful distinction.

tony_jeffs

hello,
I am newbie in c++ and want to have good proggramer in it. I want
to ask some question
1)I downlaoded some .cpp files and found some have iostream.h while
some have only
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
whats difference between them?
2) former include works in turbo C++ compiler but later not works why??
3) which is most used good debugging facility provider compiler for
Windows and Linux to do c++ programming?
4) Also in world C++ programming mean its console based programming or
visual c++ programming?
5) which is mostly used way to do c++ programming on console(Dos based)
or on windows?
Thanks,
rahul

Hi Rahul
I'm a beginner too,
#include<iostream> is the current standard, and the proper way to do
it. <iostram.h> is out of date, but still works.
You have to learn console based first, to get to understand the code.
The Best book, with sometimes a steep learning curve, is Accelerated
C++ by
Andrew Koenig and Barbara Moo.
And this website is good too for extra help.
http://cplus.about.com/od/beginnerctutorial/l/blcplustut.htm.

There are discrepencies between different compilers as you've noticed.
There is a website for the book which tells you what minor adjustments
you need to make to get code working in different compilers
www.acceleratedcpp.com

I'm using Microsoft Visual C++6 to write console programs. The
software is
fairly intuitive.
You can get the newer version as a free beta from Microsoft, but I
find it confusing to use.

If you doget the book Accelerated C++, I'll work through it with you
if you want.
....or even if you get a different book, I'd like to work through this
learning process with you & people at a similar level, so I don't bore
the experienced programmers too much.
The book is thin enough to take on the train, but has more information
in it than the 'brick' sized books.
Chapter 4 was very tough. Chapter 5 is where I'm up to and is a
breeze. Hopefully it gets easier.

Tony
9(yes the number not the word)at tonyjeffs dot com