    or on windows?
    Thanks,
    rahul

    rahul8143, Apr 25, 2005

  2. rahul8143

    Phlip Guest

    Two suggestions:

    Prep all these questions with http://groups.google.com . Most of them get
    asked quite frequently.

    Buy a book on C++, made of paper, in a bookstore, the kind with coffee and
    stuff. Then sit around and read it, for a long time, cover to cover if
    possible, before proceding.

    Phlip, Apr 25, 2005

  3. * :
    <iostream> is a standard header.

    Because it was a pre-standard convention.

    ?

    Anyway, debugging philosophy is different in Windows and Linux. In
    Linux it's not unusual to inspect a core dump, a static picture of
    the program's state when it crashed. In Windows dynamic debugging
    is the norm, almost no-one examines core dumps (except Microsoft).

    That's not a meaningful distinction.

    Again, that's not a meaningful distinction.

    Alf P. Steinbach, Apr 25, 2005
  4. rahul8143

    tony_jeffs Guest

    Hi Rahul
    I'm a beginner too,
    #include<iostream> is the current standard, and the proper way to do
    it. <iostram.h> is out of date, but still works.
    You have to learn console based first, to get to understand the code.
    The Best book, with sometimes a steep learning curve, is Accelerated
    C++ by
    Andrew Koenig and Barbara Moo.
    And this website is good too for extra help.
    http://cplus.about.com/od/beginnerctutorial/l/blcplustut.htm.

    There are discrepencies between different compilers as you've noticed.
    There is a website for the book which tells you what minor adjustments
    you need to make to get code working in different compilers
    www.acceleratedcpp.com

    I'm using Microsoft Visual C++6 to write console programs. The
    software is
    fairly intuitive.
    You can get the newer version as a free beta from Microsoft, but I
    find it confusing to use.

    If you doget the book Accelerated C++, I'll work through it with you
    if you want.
    ....or even if you get a different book, I'd like to work through this
    learning process with you & people at a similar level, so I don't bore
    the experienced programmers too much.
    The book is thin enough to take on the train, but has more information
    in it than the 'brick' sized books.
    Chapter 4 was very tough. Chapter 5 is where I'm up to and is a
    breeze. Hopefully it gets easier.

    Tony
    9(yes the number not the word)at tonyjeffs dot com

    tony_jeffs, Apr 25, 2005