No target="_blank" allowed in HTML 4.01 Strict!?

Lauri Raittila

in said:
'Struth, I can't say I have ever watched a noobie surfer use
File>Exit. They all seem to just click on that X up there in the
corner when they are finished.

You haven't seen *real* newbie. They are hard to find, just like *real*
programmers...
..except for one guy I was trying to tutor via email a few months ago.

Yes. Newbies are all different. Should not make generalisations on what
they *all* do...

Uncle Pirate

Willhe said:
I didn't mean every link should open in a new window. In fact I only use
"target=_blank" only when necessary and that's what I wanted to say;
sometimes it IS necessary. Therefor it should be allowed to use.
If I make a site about photography I'll dont use a new window for every link
on my page. But if I provide a link to e.g. a brand of cameras, I'll use the
"target=_blank". Because the visitor of your page will maybe start exploring
the new site and probably never gets back to your page.

Look at it another way. If you open a new window when I don't want one;
I'm gone from your site *never to return* whether I browse the new site
or not. If I want a new window (and I never do, maybe a new tab), I
will open it.
Much worse are pages that refresh themselves when hitting the back-button
instead of showing the previous page. That is really disgusting.

Top posting is disgusting too. If you are going to post in technical
groups, learn how to do so properly.

Coordinator, Tularosa Basin Chapter, ABATE of NM; AMA#758681; COBB
'94 1500 Vulcan (now wrecked) :( http://motorcyclefun.org/Dcp_2068c.jpg

jake

Willhe said:
I didn't mean every link should open in a new window. In fact I only use
"target=_blank" only when necessary and that's what I wanted to say;
sometimes it IS necessary. Therefor it should be allowed to use.
If I make a site about photography I'll dont use a new window for every link
on my page. But if I provide a link to e.g. a brand of cameras, I'll use the
"target=_blank". Because the visitor of your page will maybe start exploring
the new site and probably never gets back to your page.
[snip]

You've picked a very good example of where a link should open in a new
window.

You have no control over the site that you are linking to, and so if the
user experiences any problems during the visit to the external site then
s/he can quickly kill the window -- knowing that they're safely back
where they started from.

As the author of your site, you get to chose whether you open an
external link in a new window or not.

regards.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

jake said:
As the author of your site, you get to chose whether you open an
external link in a new window or not.

Not really.

"Force links that open new windows to open in:
[ ] the same tab/window as the link
[ ] a new tab"

Most modern browsers allow the *visitor* to choose.

jake

Beauregard T. said:
jake said:
As the author of your site, you get to chose whether you open an
external link in a new window or not.

Not really.

"Force links that open new windows to open in:
[ ] the same tab/window as the link
[ ] a new tab"

Most modern browsers allow the *visitor* to choose.
If modern browsers can override the author's intent i.e. stopping
him/her from opening a link target in a new window, then that's fine.

Regards