NOOB: Developing using python on two different computers

Smeagol

Hi there,

Occasionally I have to develop on two different computers, and I was
wondering if there was a way to copy the python "environment" from one
to the other?

Access to the data is trivial (networked database) but various
packages etc exist on one computer, and I want to ensure I have
everything package-wise on the other.

Both are "windows" machines (native windows box and a Macbook with
VMWare running XP)...

Is it as simple as copying the Python directory, or is there a script
I can run that will tell me what packages are installed on the native
windows box and then I can use easy_install to update the VM partition
on the Macbook?

Much obliged for any help.

Jonathan Gardner

Hi there,

Occasionally I have to develop on two different computers, and I was
wondering if there was a way to copy the python "environment" from one
to the other?

Access to the data is trivial (networked database) but various
packages etc exist on one computer, and I want to ensure I have
everything package-wise on the other.

Both are "windows" machines (native windows box and a Macbook with
VMWare running XP)...

Is it as simple as copying the Python directory, or is there a script
I can run that will tell me what packages are installed on the native
windows box and then I can use easy_install to update the VM partition
on the Macbook?

Simple copy won't do it.

Check out virtualenv (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/virtualenv).
Reinstalling each env from scratch is usually the best bet. List your
dependencies in your packages and all you have to do is easy_install
your packages.