online editing

Fulio Open

Hi,

I write html code on the MS Notepad, save the file to a USB, then
upload it to my web site. This is not convenient as I have to always
take the USB with me, from home to office and vice versa.

I wonder whether there is an online text text editor. It will allow
me to write, edit and save the html file, open it with different
browsers, and upload it to my web site. In a way this is like the
Google Document processor, but is a text editor.

Thanks for information in this regard.

fullio pen

richard

Hi,

I write html code on the MS Notepad, save the file to a USB, then
upload it to my web site. This is not convenient as I have to always
take the USB with me, from home to office and vice versa.

I wonder whether there is an online text text editor. It will allow
me to write, edit and save the html file, open it with different
browsers, and upload it to my web site. In a way this is like the
Google Document processor, but is a text editor.

Thanks for information in this regard.

fullio pen

email the stuff to yourself. Pick it up later when ready to upload.

Jan C. Faerber

Hi,

I write html code on the MS Notepad, save the file to a USB, then
upload it to my web site. This is not convenient as I have to always
take the USB with me, from home to office and vice versa.

I wonder whether there is an online text text editor.  It will allow
me to write, edit and save the html file, open it with different
browsers,  and upload it to my web site. In a way this is like the
Google Document processor, but is a text editor.

Thanks for information in this regard.

fullio pen

It seems as if you can not upload the text files from your home.
Only from your office. (a password problem?)
I am not using it - but I think in this case you could use an ftp
synchronizer if you can manage to set the information for the upload
in your office to uploadf the text files from another ftp server where
you have stored the files from your home before.

cheers
Jan (-:

dorayme

Fulio Open said:
Hi,

I write html code on the MS Notepad, save the file to a USB, then
upload it to my web site. This is not convenient as I have to always
take the USB with me, from home to office and vice versa.

I wonder whether there is an online text text editor. It will allow
me to write, edit and save the html file, open it with different
browsers, and upload it to my web site. In a way this is like the
Google Document processor, but is a text editor.

Perhaps this might be something that helps (never mind that the website
is really bad!):

<http://ckeditor.com/what-is-ckeditor>

Jukka K. Korpela

Fulio said:
I write html code on the MS Notepad, save the file to a USB, then
upload it to my web site. This is not convenient as I have to always
take the USB with me, from home to office and vice versa.

I don't think you take USB (universal serial bus) with you - rather, a USB
stick, more formally known as USB flash drive. USB sticks are rather
convenient for data transfer, much better than floppy disks are (were), but
I don't see why you need them for this.

What prevents you from uploading the file from home as well as from office?
You might need just an FTP client. (Actually, almost any computer has one,
though the one you get with Windows is just awful.) Of course, it might turn
out that security settings (probably at the office) prevent you from
installing software or from using FTP, but then you might be out of luck
anyway. It can be virtually impossible to convince your company's IT and
security of the need to let you use the company's systems for maintaining
your private website.
I wonder whether there is an online text text editor. It will allow
me to write, edit and save the html file, open it with different
browsers, and upload it to my web site.

Yes, but as explained above, it may not solve your problem.

For example, Kompozer*) is a fairly decent free web page editor (which you
can use in HTML source mode, letting you do whatever you do in Notepad, just
with some extras, mostly nice extras), and it supports document upload. But
ultimately it uses FTP, though in a fairly hidden way. If the company's
security settings disallow FTP, the upload won't work.

*) Just google for it. When people invent names these days, they tend to use
misspellings of words, so that a name is easily pronounceable, yet
distinguishable (in spelling), so that is easily googleable.

Jan C. Faerber

On Oct 18, 4:09 am, while dorayme <[email protected]>
replied to Fulio Open's <[email protected]> posting I was sitting in
the corner on a chair staring on the walls of the groups edge with a
magic hat on my head which shows the word 'SUCKER'.:

Perhaps this might be something that helps (never mind that the website
is really bad!):

<http://ckeditor.com/what-is-ckeditor>

I googled that aswell - but didn't click it.
I visited now that page and took a look at "See the demo".
The gui is nice - only I miss any "open file" icon.

This might be useful aswell:

<http://pote.com/>

Or CVS for experts - e.g.:

<http://philip.greenspun.com/wtr/cvs.html>

Travis Newbury

I don't think you take USB (universal serial bus) with you - rather, a USB
stick, more formally known as USB flash drive. USB sticks are rather
convenient for data transfer, much better than floppy disks are (were), but
I don't see why you need them for this.

I believe we can safely assume we all understood he was talking about
a stick...

OP, I can not believe you have the where abouts to know how to build a
web site, but can not figure out a way to move the code.

Jan C. Faerber

Of course, it might turn
out that security settings (probably at the office) prevent you from
installing software [...]

Yes, that's always the same mess.
With Adobe Products you sometimes have the same thing:
You need administration rights to install the software.
A little bit strange that a webdesigner who has to use
expensive programms and has to take responsibilty for a
huge part of a project does always depend on a
network administrator who wears his password keyring.
They talked about that last year at the <flex /> camp in Vienna. :-/

Next step "should" be to block multitasking in the registry.

Jan C. Faerber

I believe we can safely assume we all understood he was talking about
a stick...

Nowadays many people abuse USB sticks just to terminate the USB
interface like a chain of SCSI devices to prevent an echo.
After they loose them on the street or somewhere else or just wear
them on their bunch of keys. They post a paper in an office, a
classroom or somewhere else "Lost USB Stick - pls contact ... blabla".
But they are not aware of ftp, remote access and personal folders on a
working machine, which can be accessed from anywhere in the world by
using one's username and password.
USB sticks sometimes seem to become as important as a server.
Obviously they are a really great invention compared to zip drives and
so on.
But their small size afford additional awareness - especially for USB
viruses and security features.
OP, I can not believe you have the where abouts to know how to build a
web site, but can not figure out a way to move the code.

Why he should not have the where abouts to know how to build a web
site? Because you can not figure out a way to move the code???
A person who knows how to use a stick and asks for alternatives can
know more about anything than those pedophile USB gurus.