open a new terminal window from another terminal window in linux/unixsystem

gaurav kashyap

Dear all,

I am using Microsoft Windows XP.Using putty.exe,I connected to LINUX
server and a terminal window gets opened.Here i logeed in as root.

What i want to do is open another terminal window from already opened
terminal window.
Can this be achieved.If yes,please provide a tested solution

Thanks

Steve Holden

gaurav said:
Dear all,

I am using Microsoft Windows XP.Using putty.exe,I connected to LINUX
server and a terminal window gets opened.Here i logeed in as root.

What i want to do is open another terminal window from already opened
terminal window.
Can this be achieved.If yes,please provide a tested solution
Please stop spamming this list with the same question, and one not
concerning Python at that. For what it is worth I doubt any solution to
your problem is readily available, and repeated queries on irrelevant
lists are unlikely to earn you much positive karma.

regards
Steve

Tim Golden

gaurav said:
I am using Microsoft Windows XP.Using putty.exe,I connected to LINUX
server and a terminal window gets opened.Here i logeed in as root.

What i want to do is open another terminal window from already opened
terminal window.
Can this be achieved.If yes,please provide a tested solution

If you'd posted this description of of the situation about 2 days
ago, you'd have had a *much* better chance of getting a useful
answer. I don't think I'd have guessed in a million years that
this was what you were trying to do!

In short, there's no command you can type *inside Python*,
*on a remote box* which will cause Putty or Windows or
anything on your local PC to open another Window. I'd
be seriously worried if there were!

TJG

Paul Boddie

As pointed out already, root privileges should be used with caution,
especially if you don't really know what you're doing.
Ugh. As others said and I already guessed, this has nothing to do with
python.

It does, albeit tangentially, if the inquirer is looking for a way of
doing this conveniently within a Python program.
While this is totally unrelated to this list I'll help you going
into the right direction (but you need to walk yourself):

http://x.cygwin.com/

Basically you would install the x window system and some shell
tools (including openssh client) and then log into the
remote box and start any x window application, also as many
terminals as you can carry. (especially look out for
x-session forwarding etc.)

Agreed. This is the most obvious solution. I imagine that there may be
all sorts of alternatives, some based on X, others based on other
protocols (RDP, NX, perhaps), but SSH with X is commonplace in the
free UNIX world these days, and that pretty much sets the agenda for
all the other UNIX flavours as well.
Ah tested. Haha. Yes many people have done it, so its tested.

If you provide a contract and pay money you should also be able to
get someone to configure the system in the way you want it :)

Indeed. :)

Returning to the Python aspect, however, there probably isn't a
convenient way of just opening the "best" console/terminal program,
mostly because there isn't really a convenient way of doing so outside
Python. The xdg-utils package, which attempts to provide cross-desktop
services as a set of programs, doesn't cover the opening of terminal
windows, and it's probably a fair amount of work to inspect the
environment and inquire about the user's preferred terminal program
for all possible desktop environments, assuming that they all expose
this information conveniently.

Paul