[OT] a free news server to post to cljp?

Philipp

Hello,
I have no longer access to the university news server which I used
previously to post and the google interface sucks.

Do you know of any _free_ news server from which I can post with my
thunderbird client to this newsgroup? (no need for all the binary BS,
just comp.* text groups)

Thanks Phil

Hendrik Maryns

RedGrittyBrick

Philipp said:
Hello,
I have no longer access to the university news server which I used
previously to post and the google interface sucks.

Do you know of any _free_ news server from which I can post with my
thunderbird client to this newsgroup? (no need for all the binary BS,
just comp.* text groups)

Thanks Phil

In a few seconds I went from knowing none to knowing of several.
http://www.google.com/search?q=free+nntp+server

Roland de Ruiter

Hello,
I have no longer access to the university news server which I used
previously to post and the google interface sucks.

Do you know of any _free_ news server from which I can post with my
thunderbird client to this newsgroup? (no need for all the binary BS,
just comp.* text groups)

Thanks Phil

Motzarella <http://www.motzarella.org/> & <
I've only used a few times (when my ISP's news server wasn't available),
so I can't tell you much about its quality (retention/incompletes/etc).

Supports over 30000 groups: <http://www.motzarella.org/hierarchies.php>

No binaries, but posting allowed. Only access to the news server if
you're registered.

Philipp

Philipp schreef:
| Hello,
| I have no longer access to the university news server which I used
| previously to post and the google interface sucks.
|
| Do you know of any _free_ news server from which I can post with my
| thunderbird client to this newsgroup? (no need for all the binary BS,
| just comp.* text groups)

Doesn’t your ISP provide newsgroups?  Change immediately!

Duh! Yes I could have thought of this myself... Thanks it works with
their server

Arved Sandstrom

Hendrik Maryns said:

Philipp schreef:
| Hello,
| I have no longer access to the university news server which I used
| previously to post and the google interface sucks.
|
| Do you know of any _free_ news server from which I can post with my
| thunderbird client to this newsgroup? (no need for all the binary BS,
| just comp.* text groups)

Doesn't your ISP provide newsgroups? Change immediately!

H.

Not that uncommon. Rogers in Canada axed NNTP several years ago, claiming
that only about 3% of subscribers used it (probably true). Other ISPs
outsource, for example Comcast to Giganews.

AHS

Daniel Pitts

Philipp said:
Hello,
I have no longer access to the university news server which I used
previously to post and the google interface sucks.

Do you know of any _free_ news server from which I can post with my
thunderbird client to this newsgroup? (no need for all the binary BS,
just comp.* text groups)

Thanks Phil
Often, your ISP will provide one. Contact your provider.
If not, I use newsrazor, which isn't free, but at $5/mo, I'm okay with
th expense.