OT: Internet Explorer version 7.x

SpaceGirl

Steve said:
Hi,

I guess ol' Bill is guaranteed to make at least a few million from the
next OS release code named Longhorn. Since the next version of Windows
will be the only way to get Internet Explorer version 7, millions of
web developers will have to have it just to check their web pages.

That doesn't seem right to me.

Best Regards,
Steve MacLellan

Wont happen. IE is hopelessly behind all other browsers right now, and
Longhorn (Windows 6.0) is at least 2 years away. Imagine how much
further along other browsers will be by the time MS release another
version of IE? Bear in mind, the award winning Open Source browser
FireFox was created in not much more than a year... IE lost 10% of it's
share in the last 18 months. Imagine how few people will be using it by
2007! (I pray!)

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

mark | r

SpaceGirl said:
Wont happen. IE is hopelessly behind all other browsers right now, and
Longhorn (Windows 6.0) is at least 2 years away. Imagine how much further
along other browsers will be by the time MS release another version of IE?
Bear in mind, the award winning Open Source browser FireFox was created in
not much more than a year... IE lost 10% of it's share in the last 18
months. Imagine how few people will be using it by 2007! (I pray!)

Hi miranda,

dont believe the hype - according to thecounter.com which logs traffic from
millions of sites - Geko browsers still represent only 2% of internet users.

http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2004/September/browser.php

i dont know where 10% came from - if its from your own stats then maybe
youre being hit by loads of mac users :)

mark

brucie

In alt.html mark | r said:
dont believe the hype
exactly

according to thecounter.com which logs traffic from millions of sites
- Geko browsers still represent only 2% of internet users.

remember to take into account:
a) the small sample size.
b) the type of sites thecounter is used on (i.e. clueless newbie).
c) the type of people who visit those sites (i.e. clueless newbie).
d) how the "stats" are collected.
e) use of filtering software.

SpaceGirl

mark said:
Hi miranda,

dont believe the hype - according to thecounter.com which logs traffic from
millions of sites - Geko browsers still represent only 2% of internet users.

http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2004/September/browser.php

i dont know where 10% came from - if its from your own stats then maybe
youre being hit by loads of mac users :)

mark

Hmm not sure where I read it - but I think it was global (not just
Firefox). Even theregister.com was reporting the slide a few months ago.
It was mostly driven by all the virus and security scares earlier in the
year. My own stats do NOT reflect this though - my busiest server gets
about 95% IE, and 5% the rest.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Edwin van der Vaart

SpaceGirl schreef:
Wont happen. IE is hopelessly behind all other browsers right now, and
Longhorn (Windows 6.0) is at least 2 years away. Imagine how much
further along other browsers will be by the time MS release another
version of IE? Bear in mind, the award winning Open Source browser
FireFox was created in not much more than a year... IE lost 10% of it's
share in the last 18 months. Imagine how few people will be using it by
2007! (I pray!)

The same amount of people how don't know much about pc's.
The only thing they know is MSN and OE.

Or perhaps Billy implement Mozilla as browser and email prog. instead of
IE and OE in 2007.

mark | r

brucie said:
In alt.html mark | r said:

remember to take into account:
a) the small sample size.
b) the type of sites thecounter is used on (i.e. clueless newbie).
c) the type of people who visit those sites (i.e. clueless newbie).
d) how the "stats" are collected.
e) use of filtering software.

id trust these independent stats over anything proclaimed by a software
development company

mark

mark | r

Edwin van der Vaart said:
SpaceGirl schreef:

The same amount of people how don't know much about pc's.
The only thing they know is MSN and OE.

Or perhaps Billy implement Mozilla as browser and email prog. instead of
IE and OE in 2007.

I like firefox - its just quirky as hell - for some reason I cant manually
edit urls in the location box - I have to click at the end of the url and
use the arrow keys to get to the bit I want to edit - why cant I just place
the caret within the string - grrr

there's other stuff but this is the most reoccurring.

It was published back in April that there would be an incrimental update of
IE prior to Longhorn - i hope they didnt mean the sp2 update.

mark

Edwin van der Vaart

ark | r schreef:

[snip]
I like firefox - its just quirky as hell - for some reason I cant manually
edit urls in the location box - I have to click at the end of the url and
use the arrow keys to get to the bit I want to edit - why cant I just place
the caret within the string - grrr

No problems with Firefox 0.9.3 on a Linux/Mandrake 9.2 and Firefox 1.0PR
on Windows 2000 sp4.
there's other stuff but this is the most reoccurring.

It was published back in April that there would be an incrimental update of
IE prior to Longhorn - i hope they didnt mean the sp2 update.

What do you think...

Martin Jay

mark | r said:
I like firefox - its just quirky as hell - for some reason I cant manually
edit urls in the location box - I have to click at the end of the url and
use the arrow keys to get to the bit I want to edit - why cant I just place
the caret within the string - grrr

Internet Explorer certainly has some quirks of its own. :)

When I click on a URL in the location box the whole thing is
highlighted. I can then click a second time at a particular point in
the string and edit it from there. The same happens in Internet
Explorer.

I think it's a Windows feature. One click highlights whatever is in the
box, two quick clicks highlights a 'word' and one click, pause, then
another click places the cursor.

Steve MacLellan

Hi,

I guess ol' Bill is guaranteed to make at least a few million from the
next OS release code named Longhorn. Since the next version of Windows
will be the only way to get Internet Explorer version 7, millions of
web developers will have to have it just to check their web pages.

That doesn't seem right to me.

Best Regards,
Steve MacLellan

Build a Used Car Website

How to build, promote and sell advertising on
a used car website....
http://carsite-marketing.com

C A Upsdell

mark | r said:
dont believe the hype - according to thecounter.com which logs traffic
from millions of sites - Geko browsers still represent only 2% of internet
users.

http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2004/September/browser.php

i dont know where 10% came from - if its from your own stats then maybe
youre being hit by loads of mac users :)

Wrong. TheCounter says that 4.3% are from Gecko-based browsers. Some sites
attract fewer people, but some attract many more: for my site, 36% use
Gecko-based browsers.

C A Upsdell

mark | r said:
dont believe the hype - according to thecounter.com which logs traffic
from millions of sites - Geko browsers still represent only 2% of internet
users.

http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2004/September/browser.php

i dont know where 10% came from - if its from your own stats then maybe
youre being hit by loads of mac users :)

Wrong. TheCounter says that 4.3% are from Gecko-based browsers. Some sites
attract fewer people, but some attract many more: for my site, 36% use
Gecko-based browsers.

Jeffrey Silverman

Hi miranda,

dont believe the hype - according to thecounter.com which logs traffic from
millions of sites - Geko browsers still represent only 2% of internet users.

http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2004/September/browser.php

i dont know where 10% came from - if its from your own stats then maybe
youre being hit by loads of mac users :)

mark

Hmm...

Well, w3schools sets gecko browsers at over 15%:

The problems with these browser stat pages, of course, are many.

Daniel R. Tobias

mark | r said:
dont believe the hype - according to thecounter.com which logs traffic from
millions of sites - Geko browsers still represent only 2% of internet users.

http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2004/September/browser.php

That site's stats includes an entry for "Netscape 5.x", which doesn't
actually exist, so it takes guesswork to figure out what it really
means; my best guess is that it encompasses all user agent strings
starting with "Mozilla 5/" that aren't otherwise itemized, so it
probably encompasses some Mozilla-based projects as well as others
that are "faking it" with similar UA strings.
i dont know where 10% came from - if its from your own stats then maybe
youre being hit by loads of mac users :)

Stats can vary wildly based on the sort of audience a site is getting.
Sites drawing a more technically-clueful crowd tend to have a higher
Mozilla, Opera, and Konqueror presence.

Jeffrey Silverman

version of IE? Bear in mind, the award winning Open Source browser
FireFox was created in not much more than a year... IE lost 10% of it's

Less than a year? I'm not so sure about that. Not that
Mozilla/Gecko/Firefox hasn't jumped ahead of MSIE as far as quality and
feature set and everything else, but it has taken a bit more than a year
to get to the Firefox browser in its current state.

Netscape's source code was open-sourced in 1998!

The Firefox project dates back to 2002.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Firefox#Release_history

(Wikipedia kicks ass, BTW)

But the Gecko renderer started with the opening of Netscape. The overview
of the project was written in 1998:
http://www.mozilla.org/newlayout/overview.html

I realize that this is all nitpicking, splitting hairs, whatever, but this
thread is off-topic to begin with, and I'm waiting for Apache and PHP to
finish compiling.

later...

mark | r

Martin Jay said:
Internet Explorer certainly has some quirks of its own. :)

When I click on a URL in the location box the whole thing is highlighted.
I can then click a second time at a particular point in the string and
edit it from there. The same happens in Internet Explorer.

I think it's a Windows feature. One click highlights whatever is in the
box, two quick clicks highlights a 'word' and one click, pause, then
another click places the cursor.

but at least you dont have to resort to arrowkey movement

mark

Neal

In alt.html mark | r said:
- Geko browsers still represent only 2% of internet users.

remember to take into account:
a) the small sample size.
b) the type of sites thecounter is used on (i.e. clueless newbie).
c) the type of people who visit those sites (i.e. clueless newbie).
d) how the "stats" are collected.
e) use of filtering software.

Then again, in fairness, the "clueless newbie" is in most cases the target
market, for obvious reasons.

Where've ya been, brucie?

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Daniel R. Tobias ([email protected]) feverishly typed...
That site's stats includes an entry for "Netscape 5.x", which doesn't
actually exist,

I remember Netscape 6 coming out at a similar time to IE5 (or 5.5, can't
remember exactly), and thinking "what happened to version 5?", then thinking
"Aahh... shrewd business move!" ;-)

Cheers,
Nige

Brendan Taylor

I like firefox - its just quirky as hell - for some reason I cant manually
edit urls in the location box - I have to click at the end of the url and
use the arrow keys to get to the bit I want to edit - why cant I just place
the caret within the string - grrr

You may have already done this, but it is often helpful to search for your
problem to see if anybody else has had it and has a solution.

If you don't find anything then I'm sure the Firefox developers would
appreciate you reporting the bug at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/
They can't fix a problem that nobody knows exists.

Toby Inkster

SpaceGirl said:
[A dominant IE 7] Wont happen. IE is hopelessly behind all other
browsers right now, and Longhorn (Windows 6.0) is at least 2 years away.
Imagine how much further along other browsers will be by the time MS
release another version of IE?

The more important impact to IE's market share will occur *after* IE 7 has
been released.

A whole bunch of sites will get written "for IE 7" that won't work or will
degrade poorly in IE 6, but will work in standards-compliant browsers.

Users on Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP and 2003 will have a choice if
they want to view those sites: pay to upgrade to Longhorn, or download a
competing browser for free.