OT: Internet Explorer version 7.x

Mark Parnell

remember to take into account:
a) the small sample size.
b) the type of sites thecounter is used on (i.e. clueless newbie).
c) the type of people who visit those sites (i.e. clueless newbie).
d) how the "stats" are collected.
e) use of filtering software.

f) User-agent spoofing

Mark Parnell

I remember Netscape 6 coming out at a similar time to IE5 (or 5.5, can't
remember exactly), and thinking "what happened to version 5?", then thinking
"Aahh... shrewd business move!" ;-)

Plus NS6 was based on Mozilla, not NS4. There was work on a NS5, but it
was never released. It was mainly because of that and wanting to
distance it from NS4 that they skipped v5. I'm sure there was some
marketing peoples involved, too. :)

WebcastMaker

man I thought you were dead

Yea, yea I'm replying to brucie, and I didn't quote anything

Karl Core

brucie said:
In alt.html WebcastMaker said:

i'm trying my hardest

I have some ideas, but I'm too chickenshit to try them myself. You know, the
whole *staying* dead thing and all...

-Karl

Jim Higson

Steve said:
Hi,

I guess ol' Bill is guaranteed to make at least a few million from the
next OS release code named Longhorn. Since the next version of Windows
will be the only way to get Internet Explorer version 7, millions of
web developers will have to have it just to check their web pages.

Nah, you just have to know someone who has it and do a swap - using some
remote protocol or other, you let them test on your box, you test on
theirs.

I don't have a single Windows box, but I use rdesktop to test IE on a mate's
Windows PC, and he uses X11 to test konq here. Fine apart from `doze
crashin every few days!
That doesn't seem right to me.

It doesn't seem all that different to the current situation, where MS
expects you to buy a copy of Windows (not to mention an i386 computer) just
to test using their browser.

Or, even to buy a mac if you want to test in IE-mac. The Gecko team can
handle the chalenge of putting the same renderer on many platforms, I
wonder why MS can't even manage different versions of the same platform for
IE7?

Greg Schmidt

The Gecko team can
handle the chalenge of putting the same renderer on many platforms, I
wonder why MS can't even manage different versions of the same platform for
IE7?

I have no doubt that they could if they wanted to. However, now that
they've leveraged their virtual OS monopoly to get a virtual browser
monopoly, why wouldn't they want to leverage that to force upgrades of
their OS on people? Before you answer, I do understand why an ethical
company wouldn't do it, I just don't see why MS would.

Wayne

mark said:
Hi miranda,

dont believe the hype - according to thecounter.com which logs traffic from
millions of sites - Geko browsers still represent only 2% of internet users.

http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2004/September/browser.php

i dont know where 10% came from - if its from your own stats then maybe
youre being hit by loads of mac users :)

mark
Sorry about the late reply, but try this link for browser statistics:

Thecounter.com only reports those browsers accessing sites it is
installed on.

rf

Wayne said:
Sorry about the late reply,

Very late, almost two months late.
but try this link for browser statistics:

Thecounter.com only reports those browsers accessing sites it is
installed on.

And the w3schools site only reports on those accesses to w3schools, that is
the contents of their log files.

Don't you think those stats might be just a little biased? Anybody looking
at w3scools is likely to be learning or doing something with web
development. They are more than likely to be aware that there is more than
one browser, and probably have a non-IE browser installed.

The average mum and dad using the net would never go to w3schools and are
usually only dimly aware of what a browser *is* let alone that there are
many of them. They use the one that came with the box. Most likely IE.

Neal

Anybody looking
at w3scools is likely to be learning or doing something with web
development. They are more than likely to be aware that there is more
than
one browser, and probably have a non-IE browser installed.

Then again, of all the HTML-type pages out there, they likely would get
the most IE hits.
The average mum and dad using the net would never go to w3schools and are
usually only dimly aware of what a browser *is* let alone that there are
many of them. They use the one that came with the box. Most likely IE.

True. And when they upgrade their computer to a Windows OS, they'll use
Longhorn.

But - there is a chance for Mozilla, Opera et al to capture a bigger share
of the market. Certainly if I get a computer with the new IE on it I'll
give it a whirl, but if someone's discovered how great FF or Opera are
before then, they'll be more likely to switch back.

It's dependent on the friends of the better browsers to do what we can to
encourage others to try a newer browser.

C A Upsdell

Not true. The latest number as of Thursday is 4.8%: this includes Mozilla
and Netscape 5-7.