OT Maybe: Silverlight installation

Lloyd Sheen

I have tried and tried and tried .... to install Silverlight. I had
attempted to install the tools a while ago but of course that did not work.
Attempting to open a Silverlight project gave that famous message that it
could not access the reigstry item (MS if you know what is wrong why not say
it, your meaningless error message do nothing for anyone).

Now I just switched to RC1 IE8. So I go to site , gives me the install
Silverlight, well it worked yesterday but I'll bite. Install, no errors, no
indication of anything wrong. But of course it does not work.

MS if you really want people to use this I can only suggest that you look at
what your are competing with. I can install Flash no problem, all browsers,
it just works.

Why can't MS make installs that work? Perhaps it is because I am on the 666
of OS'es Vista.

Does anyone have an idea other than blowing up this machine and starting
again???

Thanks
Lloyd Sheen

RayLopez99

[...]

What hardware? Vista compatible, etc?

RL

[...]

Been running Vista Ultimate since its launch. I don't run with UAC and if I
change the setting my userid no longer has access to all my files so that is
not an option.

LS

[...]

After much reading I get to the registry. Well I cannot change the
permission even though I am admin. Since there is no more admin user I
guess MS thinks that security involves stopping the user from using their
own system. Very strange thinking.

Uninstall then instead of just running (which I think most people would do)
I save it and run as administrator. Now it works (at least until I reboot
or there are more MS updates).

LS

RayLopez99

Uninstall then instead of just running (which I think most people would do)
I save it and run as administrator.  Now it works (at least until I reboot
or there are more MS updates).

Good to hear you fixed it. That's the problem with these languages,
that few people deal in: always some obscure problem and not enough
people on these boards to resolve it--you typically end up talking to
yourself and figuring it out. Try also the SQL board next time on
connection problems; I've had great success there in the past.

RL (relearning ASP/ADO .NET)

Lloyd Sheen

Patrice said:
Worked fine for me on Vista home...

Do you have VS 2008 SP1 ? Developer tools are here :

http://silverlight.net/GetStarted/

Ok current problem is MS. I use the help in IE8 to go to the new features
videos.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/beta/videos.aspx?vindex=2

In Chrome silverlight loads, the video loads, all is good. IE8 well it
gives me an alternative jpg with links that go nowhere. It does not detect
Silverlight (is there a different one for each browser?).

Seems to me that this is just a carryon from the sloppy work on Vista.

Does anyone who is developing using Silverlight know the answers. I would
think it would be good to know since nothing about my system is all that
different and using MS tools cannot get to it. I guess all the world should
switch from IE.

LS