OT - Silverlight

Lloyd Sheen

I have attempted several times to install this. I put this on this forum
since if I go to MS site and use search it cannot find Silverlight but I
have noticed several people on this forum mention using Silverlight. If I
go to http://silverlight.net/ and click the download link that does not
work.

I can only say it is a pathetic introduction. Why it will not install (when
you can find it) on Vista seems to be a common problem.

Any ideas?
Lloyd Sheen

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

On Vista, download the file instead of install and run the install as
administrator. Remember that Vista "protects" you from the bad guys. It also
"protects" you from

a) yourself
b) good guys
c) programs you desire to run

Don't get me wrong. There is a lot I love about Vista, but it is awfully
intrusive at times.

Lloyd Sheen

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

| Think outside the box! |

I would if I could. All the link on MS sites seem to know nothing about
Silverlight. The site I mentioned goes to the generic download page and a
search in MS says nothing found for Silverlight. Maybe its been killed (ha
ha).

If I could find a link to the install file I would try as admin but no luck
on that.

thanks
Lloyd Sheen

Lloyd Sheen

Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) said:
On Vista, download the file instead of install and run the install as
administrator. Remember that Vista "protects" you from the bad guys. It
also "protects" you from

a) yourself
b) good guys
c) programs you desire to run

Don't get me wrong. There is a lot I love about Vista, but it is awfully
intrusive at times.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

| Think outside the box! |

Finally found a link to the install. Ran it as admin but still not luck.
Seems to be a permission problem in registry. What a great technology NOT).

LS

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Lloyd Sheen said:
Finally found a link to the install. Ran it as admin but still not luck.
Seems to be a permission problem in registry. What a great technology
NOT).

Silverlight or Vista? ;-)

Lloyd Sheen

Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) said:
Silverlight or Vista? ;-)

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

| Think outside the box! |

At this point neither. After much googling I found some articles pointing
out registry key permissions. I found those keys, changed the permissions
and running the Process Monitor I can see that one of the keys now get
permission correct. Others don't and the thing I love about this is I can
see from PM that the keys that are failing are using my userid and looking
in regedit I am the owner and have full access.

I think Bill had best come back as head scientist.

As for Vista, it makes MS Bob look like a great idea. I was going to look
at doing some poking around with Silverlight but if I can't view what I
create I guess there is no point. The real puzzler is going to the MS site
and searching for Silverlight and getting no links. That could say it all.

LS

Lloyd Sheen

Mark Rae said:
What on earth are you talking about???

1) http://www.microsoft.com

2) Enter Silverlight in the box

3) Hit Enter

That gives the following:
http://search.microsoft.com/results.aspx?mkt=en-US&form=MSHOME&setlang=en-US&q=Silverlight

How many more links do you actually need...?

http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/downloads.aspx

Try it. It goes to:

We're sorry, but we were unable to service your request. You may wish to
choose from the links below for information about Microsoft products and
services.

And anyway since I cannot get it to install and work it really does not
matter. I found on my workstation the install exe and tried with and
without UAC, as admin, not as admin. Changing ownership on reg keys etc.

No luck.
LS

Mark Rae [MVP]

http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/downloads.aspx

Try it. It goes to:

We're sorry, but we were unable to service your request. You may wish to
choose from the links below for information about Microsoft products and
services.

No it doesn't - at least, not for me... I see the four downloads etc...
And anyway since I cannot get it to install and work it really does not
matter. I found on my workstation the install exe and tried with and
without UAC, as admin, not as admin. Changing ownership on reg keys etc.

Works perfectly for me on 64-bit Vista Business Edition...

brian@coldmailcom

brian

Working fine for me in IE7...
Also, the link which does not work for Lloyd
(http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/downloads.aspx) also works fine for
me - I can download and install all four binaries, including the Mac ones...

Thanks Mark...That link I can get to work.

My comment was going to Microsoft.com and putting Silverlight in the search prompt does not. I tried it on 6 PC's now which included XP, 2000 Server and 2003 Server using IE6
and Firefox with no luck. The point is it's not working for others. I've tried it at home and at work with no success.

If you have to IE7 and or Vista 64 bit to get this to work, that's a problem. I think what Lloyd was trying to say is that Microsoft needs to do a better job. Great if it works
for you, but if others are having a problem, then THERE IS A PROBLEM. If all you can do is say it works for me... well that' not helping. I'm mot flaming you, just making an
observation.

Thanks for yur responses:)

brian

Laurent Bugnion, MVP

Hi,

Thanks Mark...That link I can get to work.

My comment was going to Microsoft.com and putting Silverlight in the search prompt does not. I tried it on 6 PC's now which included XP, 2000 Server and 2003 Server using IE6
and Firefox with no luck. The point is it's not working for others. I've tried it at home and at work with no success.
If you have to IE7 and or Vista 64 bit to get this to work, that's a problem. I think what Lloyd was trying to say is that Microsoft needs to do a better job. Great if it works
for you, but if others are having a problem, then THERE IS A PROBLEM. If all you can do is say it works for me... well that' not helping. I'm mot flaming you, just making an
observation.

I am not sure what *your* problem is, but it's certainly not a Microsoft
problem (and most definitely not a Silverlight problem). Going to
Microsoft.com and putting Silverlight in the search box (where do you
see a prompt anyway?) returns a bunch of perfectly valid Silverlight
links, with the first one being the page that Mark points to.

Number 2 is the "Why Silverlight" and number 3 is a MSDN page by the
excellent Laurence Moroney about getting started with Silverlight. There
are a lot of others.

I am having that on Windows XP SP1 and Firefox, by the way.

Maybe you should check your ISP, they may have decided to block Microsoft.
Thanks for yur responses:)

brian

Laurent