[OT] The Deathstation

Hong Ooi

I'm sure this has been seen by everyone important already, but it
brightened up what will otherwise be another morning tainted by
insufficient caffeine...

http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town/green/gfd34/art/

This bit cracks me up:

================
No modern computer system is complete without software. Whilst we provide a
number of off-the-shelf weapons control applications, we appreciate that
our clients will wish to customise their purchases with in-house software.

Unstable binaries could cause our weapons control systems to have a
potentially negative impact on the environment. We take our
responsibilities very seriously, and ensure that each system is supplied
with a compiler which fully supports the ANSI/ISO C Standard. Our compiler
of choice is the Z15 Operations Group compiler, ZOG C.

ZOG C is shipped free with every ART system sold. It's a fully compliant
ANSI C compiler, its performance is excellent (in terms of both compilation
speed and - literally - execution speed), and it comes complete with a set
of libraries specifically tailored for our industry. For example:

.. CONIO Computer-Operated Nuclear Installation Options
.. SOCKETS Secure Operations Cluster-Kill Extended Targeting Solutions
.. DOS Denial Of Service
.. NCURSES Nuclear Component Unit Realignment/Systems Extension Solutions

and many many more.

Regrettably, some other compiler vendors use similarly-named extensions for
supposedly mission-critical functionality such as networking, clearing
display devices, and other non-portable paradigms. It is therefore
recommended that you only allow programmers to work on our systems if they
are experienced in writing portable, ANSI-compliant C code. It would be
unfortunate if any more lives were lost simply because some programmers
feel a deep spiritual need to obliterate the display device, and much much
more, using ZOG C's Commence Launch (Remote Systems Console Request)
function, clrscr() (see bloopers).

Hong "unfortunately, they misspelled Kaz's name" Ooi

Richard Heathfield

Lew said:
It is interesting that one photo (presumably of the DeathStation itself)
shows the IBM logo, and bares a close resemblance to an IBM 360/30 that I
once worked on. <vbg>

I confess.

All the images on that site were culled from the Net in a pleasantly
plagiaristic hour or so about four years ago. I don't specifically remember
searching for IBM, but I do recall wondering what the NSA and GCHQ would
make of my other search patterns, such as "tank", "missile", "nuclear
explosion", and "Igor". :)

Incidentally, there's a tiny steganographically hidden message on the site,
which AFAICR nobody has yet spotted (even though the word "steganography"
probably does it too much honour).

Richard Heathfield

Randy said:
I seem to recall this being Richard Heathfield's creation, from
some dusty memory cells. ??

And Bryan Williams - a very good C programmer, by the way.

Bryan did the frames stuff and messed around with the pics and what ARTwork
there is, whilst I provided probably 80-90% of the text.

Matthew Baker found lots of Igor pics, of which I think we definitely picked
the best.

(BTW Hong Ooi is quite right - I misspelt Kaz Kylheku's name. Oops. Sorry,
Kaz.)

Mark McIntyre

Incidentally, there's a tiny steganographically hidden message on the site,
which AFAICR nobody has yet spotted (even though the word "steganography"
probably does it too much honour).

I suspect it will take a just over couple of months before anyone
works it out.

Holger Hasselbach

Mark said:
I suspect it will take a just over couple of months before anyone
works it out.

Be serious, you really shouldn't joking around all the year long.

Holger

Ben Pfaff

Richard Heathfield said:
Incidentally, there's a tiny steganographically hidden message on the site,
which AFAICR nobody has yet spotted (even though the word "steganography"
probably does it too much honour).

I think you're looking for "sci.crypt" for this part of your
article :)