OT: What is happening in Sydney?

Disco Octopus

Luigi said:
As far as I understand there are many people living in Australia who write
in this NG.
Therefore I would like to ask you what is happening over there in Sydney
(see the article on the following newspaper)
http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/

Man. It is absolutely crazy over here.

From what I hear, this is the story...
<hearsay>
A group of people were playing soccer on the beach, like they have done
many times before.
The group gets larger and larger as time passes, and it become a little bit
annoying for others on the beach.
<cutdownversion>The life savers ask them to simmer down their game and they
then start beating up the live savers.</cutdownversion>
Cronulla beach has historically had a fairly violent culture with quite
some alcohol and drug (maily dope) consumption.
In the follwoing days/week the locals became quite agressive towards the
group that beat up the life savers, ...
</hearsay>

.... and the rest is on the news...

<hearsay>
Please be aware, that both groups (both sides of the story) are so
completely far from the ideas of the Australian people in general.
</hearsay>

I am Australian. Where I was born is irrelevant. My skin colour is
irrelevant. My accent is irrelevant. Where my parents were born is
irrelevant. As an Australian, I was always under the impression that
Australian culture is "whatever you are".

It must just be boredom to behave in the way that these dick heads are
behaving. I can not think of any other reason.

dorayme

From: "Luigi Donatello Asero said:
As far as I understand there are many people living in Australia who write
in this NG.
Therefore I would like to ask you what is happening over there in Sydney
(see the article on the following newspaper)
http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/

It is a matter of terrible shame for a very great number of people here.
Perhaps read the The Sydney Morning Herald to get a better idea of it....

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero
As far as I understand there are many people living in Australia who write
in this NG.
*waves*

Therefore I would like to ask you what is happening over there in Sydney

To be quite honest, I really don't know. I haven't been following it
much, so I don't know many details. As far as I'm concerned it's just a
bunch of idiots ruining things for the majority who just want to mind
their own business. I hope the police manage to get it under control
quickly.

It's very *unaustralian* ;-)

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
It is a matter of terrible shame for a very great number of people here.
Perhaps read the The Sydney Morning Herald to get a better idea of it....
I have had a look.
When talking about newspapers in Australia which ones do you prefer?
Are there many newspapers in Sydney?
Could you compare somehow the riots in Sydney with the ones in France in
Paris or do you think that they have completely different reasons?

dorayme

From: Mark Parnell said:
It's very *unaustralian* ;-)

It was as fair dinkum Australian as the White Australia Policy,
as Pauline Hanson, as the Dept of Immigration Practices and many
many other things that are not exactly Martian in origin. It is
thoroughly shameful.

NZ also thrashed us for no good reason in the last game (we
still won the series)

It has been a bad weekend.

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
It was as fair dinkum Australian as the White Australia Policy,
as Pauline Hanson, as the Dept of Immigration Practices and many
many other things that are not exactly Martian in origin. It is
thoroughly shameful.

NZ also thrashed us for no good reason in the last game (we
still won the series)

What do you play at?

Luigi Donatello Asero

Mark Parnell said:
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero

To be quite honest, I really don't know. I haven't been following it
much, so I don't know many details. As far as I'm concerned it's just a
bunch of idiots ruining things for the majority who just want to mind
their own business. I hope the police manage to get it under control
quickly.

It's very *unaustralian* ;-)

How would you define the "average Australian", let´s say
the average Australian woman and the average Australian man?

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme
NZ also thrashed us for no good reason in the last game (we
still won the series)

Well, they didn't exactly *thrash* us, but yes they won. :-(
It has been a bad weekend.

Indeed.

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero
How would you define the "average Australian", let´s say
the average Australian woman and the average Australian man?

I wouldn't. That sort of thing is too hard to define. But the people
involved in the riots certainly aren't indicative of Australians in
general.

Nik Coughlin

Mark said:
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello

I wouldn't. That sort of thing is too hard to define. But the people
involved in the riots certainly aren't indicative of Australians in
general.

No, but fairly representative of idiots the world over.

Toby Inkster

Luigi said:
Could you compare somehow the riots in Sydney with the ones in France in
Paris or do you think that they have completely different reasons?

I don't think the two are unrelated -- the Paris riots may well have
planted the seeds of an idea in the minds of some of the rioters in Sydney.

But they're certainly for different reasons. In French society, anyone who
doesn't fit the French cultural norm is viewed as an outsider and shunned.
(It is for this reason that minority languages like Occitan, Breton and
Frankish are all but extinct in France; whereas Spanish minority languages
like Basque and Catalan are still healthy.) The French model of
multiculturalism assimilates everyone -- there is less an attitude of
"everyone is equal" and more of an attitude of "everyone is identical".

That said, there is a lot of racism in France. People from ethnic
minorities are routinely discriminated against. On one hand they're being
expected to be the perfect French citizens, yet their fellow countrymen
are treating them as outsiders.

On top of that, there is no approved outlet for any tensions -- the
government more or less ignores race relations issues. In their view,
everyone in France is French, so how can there be any racial
discrimination?

Discrimination leading to high unemployment, poverty, ghettoisation and
resentment: there's no surprise that riots broke out in Paris; the only
surprise is that it didn't happen sooner.

The Paris riots have given fuel to agents provocateur worldwide, and I
expect to see a few more riots in other cities before things settle down
again.

Cronulla, where a lot of the trouble in Sydney has been going on, is a
poor area, which is very ethnically mixed. Throw in a few trouble-makers
and some intense heat (it's the height of summer) and tension is bound to
be high.

I *am* surprised that it trickled up to Maroubra though: it's a fairly
affluent area.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Toby Inkster said:
[...]

As we had previously discussed in europa.union about the riots in France I
post your answer to that NG as well.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/italien-valle-daosta/boende-i-italien-i-valle-daosta.php

dorayme

From: Toby Inkster said:
Cronulla, where a lot of the trouble in Sydney has been going on, is a
poor area, which is very ethnically mixed. Throw in a few trouble-makers
and some intense heat (it's the height of summer) and tension is bound to
be high.

I *am* surprised that it trickled up to Maroubra though: it's a fairly
affluent area.

It's more complicated than the affluence of the suburb, there is
quite a history to the gangs that have formed along the beach
suburbs, especially Maroubra (the Bra gang, local surfies and so
on) and gangs that come from all over Western Sydney to visit
the beaches. There are better roads and freeways now to bring
folk more easily to these beaches and these visitors have
behaved badly often enough to cause special resentment. Not
least resented, apparently, has been the unwillingness by the
state Govt to confront such behaviour because of "ethnic"
sensitivities. Anyway, it's a mess...

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
It's more complicated than the affluence of the suburb, there is
quite a history to the gangs that have formed along the beach
suburbs, especially Maroubra (the Bra gang, local surfies and so
on) and gangs that come from all over Western Sydney to visit
the beaches. There are better roads and freeways now to bring
folk more easily to these beaches and these visitors have
behaved badly often enough to cause special resentment. Not
least resented, apparently, has been the unwillingness by the
state Govt to confront such behaviour because of "ethnic"
sensitivities. Anyway, it's a mess...

How does the situation look like in Melbourne?

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero
How does the situation look like in Melbourne?

What's Melbourne got to do with anything? ;-)

dorayme

From: Mark Parnell said:
Luigi Donatello Asero spouted in alt.html:

What's Melbourne got to do with anything? ;-)

Mark! You seem not to /understand/ Luigi. To me, it is not at
all a surprising question. It is a question that does not
necessarily beg for an answer. It is a quixotic expression of a
most unusual mind. But I can't say too much at this sensitive
time...

(O and by the way, we got thrashed, any defeat by NZ is a
thrashing...)

Luigi Donatello Asero

Mark Parnell said:
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero

What's Melbourne got to do with anything? ;-)

Are you from Sidney?
Of course it can be interesting for a cosmopolitan European to get a picture
from the whole country and not only about Sydney.
Besides, I know there is a certain rivality between Sydney and Melbourne
and that was the reason why Canberra was chosen as the capital of Australia.
And...well, Melbourne and Mitcham or something like that are still sometimes
in my mind although I have never been there....
because...well, I do not want to write too much...

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
Mark! You seem not to /understand/ Luigi. To me, it is not at
all a surprising question. It is a question that does not
necessarily beg for an answer. It is a quixotic expression of a
most unusual mind. But I can't say too much at this sensitive
time...

(O and by the way, we got thrashed, any defeat by NZ is a
thrashing...)

Are you upset about how tall you are?